• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Hatch Issues.....??

Crow Horse

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning on upgrading the rear hatch handle & linkage on my 99 to the new handle and threaded linkage. In the mean time, I lubed the mechanism and linkages but was not able to tighten the loose handle. Not wanting to snap the single bolt that secures it without a replacement on hand, I left it alone. I did adjust the existing linkage and the hatch now operates as designed, but the handle is still a bit loose. I saturated the bolt with penetrating oil, but it it looked like it was either spinning while tightening or the bold itself was twisting (just before the dreaded snap). My questions are, is there a way to tighten it without fubarring it all up, and when a replacement is on hand, if the bolt doesn't snap when attempting to remove it, what's the best way of getting that bugger out?

Glue the handle in place from the inside with RTV silicone.

If the nut spins, you have to cut it off, which destroys the old handle assembly.

Whatever fits. I don't recall if I used a Dremmel or my air powered whizzer.

Back