• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange starting prblem!!!

rock jock

NAXJA Forum User
:soapbox: need help, I have an 88 XJ 4.0 automatic transmission, problem just started out of no where when I turn the key on and try to start it the engine fires up fine as soon as I release the key the engine dies. Anyone else have this problem? any advise would be helpful thank you

-Rock Jock

ohhh my buddy had that problem! believe it was the ignition switch.loose or something like that.let me call him and i will let you know.

Likely to be the ballast resistor, take the two wires off and connect them together for a test. Won't hurt anything and will tell you if the resistor is open.
I found a 1 to 2 prong adapter for a standard spade connector and leave it on one end of the ballast resistor, in case it screws up.
The power to the fuel pump comes straight from the starter relay during start and through the ballast resistor in run.

Engine bay, drivers side fender.

BallastResistor2-1.png

Mine looks a little different, but it should be recognizable from this picture.

tryd the ballast resistor,,that didnt fix it,, i have the ingition switch apart cant see nothing bad inside but ill keep looking,, if anyone thinks of somthing new feel free to post any help is good thank you..

<ROCK JOCK>

The switch itself is about half way down the column and worked by a rod from the tumbler assembly.
Most guys check the wires coming out of the switch for crispy, there is often a visible melt down or black crispy color on the wires. EcoMike is pretty knowledgeable about those switches.

I personally wouldn't give up on the fuel system just yet, easy to check a whole lot easier than the ignition switch, I tend to troubleshot for easy to hard.
Put a trouble light or volt meter on one of the sires at the ballast resistor, start it you should get voltage. If the voltage stops after you release the key to the run position, look at the fuel pump relay.

Does anything work with the key in the run position? Turn signals, heater blower etc?

The larger yellow wire to the ignition coil needs power with the key in the run position.

This might be helpful

88ignitionswitchdetail.png

In the electrical section there is a how to for replacing the ignition switch. http://www.lunghd.com/On_Site_Tech.htm

Last edited:
tested the ballist resister, test light only comes on when trying to start. Turns off when key rolls back, fans lights and wipers ect.... work. Tested yellow wire coming from inginition linkage, only works intermittenly. If i loosen the ignition linkage assembly half way down the column and move it back and forth will i have a chance of it starting.

Rock Jock

Back