• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering setups : JCR UTK vs Rock Krawler

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and read a lot of threads about each but I want some more up to date opinions. What do you guys think would be better on a rig with 4.5-5 inches of lift, DD running 33s-35s? I'm not looking to go OTK with JCRs other steering setup so I'm curious as to these two kits. JCR's UTK supposedly has some tie rod roll, my buddy runs it and says he doesn't notice it at all (runs that poly spacer also). Rock Krawler has an awkward layout but the tie rod goes above the knuckle but the draglink angle doesn't change so you don't have to mess around with the trackbar.

Anyone have experience with both or had a chance to drive with each of these kits? If anyone even has an opinion on either post it up!

JCR has a great kit and I run a similar setup(perfect for around 5 inches of lift) the RK kit is also good if you"re running 6 inches or higher, So for you I'd say go with the JCR kit.

Serious Offroad has a Steering kit just like JCR's, but lower price. I believe there is a thread in the Vendor section.

Ruffstuff has offset TRE's which might come in nady when running a heavy duty diff cover.

Do people have issues with JCR or serious offroad's kits rubbing their diff covers?? I have a ruff stuff cover, my main concern is tie rod roll.

I'm guessing OTK has to involve moving the trackbar and shortening it? Has anyone done OTK without moving their trackbar? How does it ride?

I know plenty of people who run OTK, with stock location trackbar. Sway bar links need to be removed/modified to run OTK. I believe the angle of draglink vs trackbar is close or the same.

There is no binding issues or anything like that if the trackbar is left in the stock location with steering being OTK? I could deal with a LITTLE bit of bump steer but if everything is going to be all out of wack then I don't want to. I could also just mess around with the trackbar sometime down the road if its that bad...

I run Rock krawlers double shear trackbar and frame mount if that makes a difference.

Do people have issues with JCR or serious offroad's kits rubbing their diff covers?? I have a ruff stuff cover, my main concern is tie rod roll.

I'm guessing OTK has to involve moving the trackbar and shortening it? Has anyone done OTK without moving their trackbar? How does it ride?
OTK requires relocating the trackbar to an OTA. It's the only way to maintain proper steering geometry.

Does your steering kit hit anything while being UTK? Its looking like I will most likely be going with your steering setup.

I run a ruff stuff diff cover and I will not get rid of it just to run a steering setup.

I ran JCR UTK for about 2 years and hated the tie-rod roll enough to switch back to Currie. If I run 1-ton again it will be OTK.

Does your steering kit hit anything while being UTK? Its looking like I will most likely be going with your steering setup.

I run a ruff stuff diff cover and I will not get rid of it just to run a steering setup.
Dan makes a great diff cover and you won't need to replace it.

No, there's no interference.

I ran JCR UTK for about 2 years and hated the tie-rod roll enough to switch back to Currie. If I run 1-ton again it will be OTK.
Dual Poly Spacers is the way to go.

Dual Poly Spacers is the way to go.

I had the poly spacers but could never completely eliminate the roll - its the nature of the system, especially at higher lifts. It wasn't completely awful, I just couldn't trust my wife to be able to drive it if needed.

I'm so tempted to run OTK and just get new swaybar mounts. I really can't afford to get a new trackbar and mount, I run the RK double shear and I don't think I could cut it down due to it having bends...

Man this is a tough decesion, I will either go UTK and try out the spacer and if it doesn't work I'll make one from HDPE material OR I will just go OTK hack everything up and leave the trackbar for now hoping for no bumpsteer. I was told by another member that the bumpsteer isn't really THAT bad.

my utk has no tierod roll and works flawlessly, make sure when you order a kit you get the TRE spacers and you'll be set!

Anthony, i love my JCR UTK, but now im going OTK with it on my d44.

I had little to no tie rod roll, and my steering cleared my riddler cover by about a 1/4 of an inch.

Back