• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best replacement distributor

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I just figured out that what I thought was a belt/bearing squeak is coming from the distributor. Looks like this is fairly common (XJ has 196k on it) and I should just replace it. Where should I get the replacement from? Does it matter? I'm too poor to fix it twice.

If you want to purchase online I would check with RockAuto www.rockauto.com
They have one available for your 1999 4.0L for $79 plus core charge.

http://cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=30-4495

Locally for you I would check NAPA first and then O'Reilly's or whatever is available....

You will need to line up the rotor on No. 1 cylinder, mark the position on the distributor body pull up and then twist CCW (IIRC), but before you fully remove the distributor, place a mark on the distributor body so you can compare later on the new distributor.
When installing the new distributor there is a small hole on the bottom of the distributor that allows you to insert an small rod to align the hole in the body with a hole in the distributor plate which aligns the rotor shaft for reinserting. There is a notch in the distributor shaft that needs to align inside the oil pump shaft. You many need to use a long screw driver to twist the oil pump shaft slightly to align the oil pump groove and distributor shaft notch.

Last edited:
Looks like a1cardone reman or napa reman. Cardone is cheaper and more widely available. Are they a good choice?

I put in a Cardone from oreilys back in 8-24-08 and it's got about 35k miles on it I think and no problem at all, paid $65 for it.

Thanks. What else should I replace while I'm at it. I'm looking at the rockauto tuneup kit: cap, rotor, and plug wires. Plus champion copper plugs. I think I did all that 50k ago, but my memory isn't clear. Anything else while I'm at it?

I went with napa gold plug wires and a regular napa cap/rotor. Good luck finding the copper champion plugs. My local napa discontinued them and said they couldn't get any more. Their computer showed a replacement part number but they were not the made in the USA copper plugs. I bought I think 5 sets at a big discount so I would have them, wish I had bought more.

I would replace cap, rotor, wires and plugs, especially if it's been 50K. The factory recommended interval for replacing all that stuff is 30K. NGKs are good plugs. Make sure you get a cap and rotor with brass, not aluminum, terminals.

Back