• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joints

drewbsking

NAXJA Forum User
I did a lube, oil, and filter tonight and I found out that the tie rod end ball joints are blown out. I try to grease them up and its simply squirts out near the disk breaks. (both sides) The joints still seems pretty tight. What should I do? Replace it now or wait till it gets loose?

Also the the top ball stud on the axle yoke/steering knuckle also just squires out one little hole. (both sides) Does that mean it too failed? How come the bottom ball stud does have a grease fitting like the top one? Are they not similar?

Any advise is much appreciated.

2001 XJ, 133K Miles, Michigan

the "seals" on tie rods and ball joints is just a dust cover. unless there is play in the joints you should be good. as far as the knuckles, IIRC that hole is just to let excess grease come out. that way you dont end up trying to pump it up and all the new grease flows out from the dust cover.

Back