• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Yokes - Different widths each end?

Mike in NJ

NAXJA Life Member
NAXJA Member
OK - w/o the long, sad story . . .

. . . had to replace the driveshaft on a '96 XJ 5 speed D35 and after finding ( I thought) a used '96 replacement shaft and putting in new u-joints at each end - the rear u-joint is a 1/4 inch short fitting into the pinion yoke tabs. Made no sense, since the driveshaft fitting was tight to the tabs.

Compared the "new" shaft to original one again and got a surprise. The rear driveshaft yoke on the original is a quarter inch wider than the slip yoke end! Which, of course, matches the pinion yoke perfectly. But, not with the replacement shaft.

As it is, the outside width of the replacement shaft yokes (each end) is 3 1/2inches, as is the slip yoke end of the original shaft. The pinion yoke and pinion yoke end of the original shaft is 3 3/4 inches.

Has anyone run into this before? I've replaced shaft U-joints on my other XJ's over the years and each end of the shaft has always been the same.

This XJ has always been just a daily driver - no off road stress, so even the thought that the yokes somehow "stretched" from abuse doesn't seem very likely.

Not sure what the next step is - all the alternatives seem ugly (since the original shaft with the two sizes is no longer usable).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Mike in NJ

Last edited:
They make u-joints that adapt from one size to another.

Well, smack me with a wet carp Tom - you are 100% correctamont!

Maybe I'm the last one who's heard of this, but . . .

Dana Spicer Cross Over U-Joint for Jeep - 5-134X

Dana Spicer 1310 To 1330 Series Crossover U-Joint
Forged Cross
Lubeable
Outside Snap Ring
Cup Size A= 1.062in.
Outside To Outside A= 3.2190in.
Cup Size B= 1.062in.
Outside To Outside B=3.625in.

According to my trusty micrometer - this appears to be exactly what's needed.

Funny thing still is - NONE of the rest of my XJ's or XJ drivetrain parts or diffs have that 3.625in dimension - just this stock '96 Sport.

Only in a Jeep.

Once again - NAXJA to the rescue.

Thanks

MG

Back