• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee running rough after heatsoak?

ATLSRT8

NAXJA Forum User
So I know my NSS needs to be cleaned bc after it sits over night it only fires up when I put it in neutral. The past few times I have went out wheeling my Cherokee starts up and runs just fine, but when I drive an hour+ to get to my location and shut it off it starts to act funny. After the engine is hot and has been turned off, when I start it back up it sounds like a diesel and will die if I give it gas before I let it warm back up. It sounds like a vacuum issue, but I'm curious why it only happens after it's heat soaked? Anyone have any ideas? If I start it up and let it run for a bit the diesel sound evens out and it's good to go again. I'm a little baffled by this one. Thanks for any help!

Oh and it's a 2000 XJ with a 4.0, if that matters

Heat soak leads to vapor lock. When the air/vaporized gasoline in the fuel rail clears, it runs normal again.

This happened early on in my 2001. Took it to the dealer and they flashed some new software on the ECU. That was about 9 years ago. It still happens a little when it's over 90-degrees but originally it would trip the CEL.

Hood vents help. So does a timer on the electric fan so it runs after shut-down.

Not a head gasket issue. Common problem. TSB says to put heat insulation on fuel injector #3. I would put insulation on all injectors and the fuel rail. There are also a few TSBs for reprogramming but that is usually for cold start issues.

Search as it has been covered many times. Another option is to rig up the fan with a timer to run after you turn it off.

Not a head gasket issue. Common problem. TSB says to put heat insulation on fuel injector #3. I would put insulation on all injectors and the fuel rail. There are also a few TSBs for reprogramming but that is usually for cold start issues.

Search as it has been covered many times. Another option is to rig up the fan with a timer to run after you turn it off.

Wow that actually helps out a lot, it never wants to start in winter when it's cold. Thanks so much!

Back