• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm kit

DoWorkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for some input on choosing a LA kit...I currently have a 4.5 in. RE short arm lift, but I'm looking at adding rear shackle box relocation brackets and front coil spacers, and moving up to long arms. I just need help deciding between radius arms, 3 linking it, or 4 linking it. Right now I'm looking at getting Ironman's Radius arms.

Thanks

First you need to search around the forums. There's been a ton of coverage on just about every long arm set up available.

Second, you need to decide what exactly you wish to gain by going up another inch and a half and going to long arms. Once that's figured out, compare your results and see which method would work best for you.

Radius arms may or may not unload and if they do it may or may not have an impact on performance. They also bind, but it may or may not affect flex. Also, only having two attachment points to the body, they might fail catastrophically, but I've never heard of it, so it may just be fear-mongering. However, they package the easiest under the XJ and have the best clearance usually.

A 4 link is by and large the strongest, but takes up the most space and also binds. Again, it may or may not affect flex.

A 3 link has the least amount of bind, but it may not matter as many believe that the bind in the other setups doesn't occur until you've flexed past a usable point anyways. A 3 link attaches to the body in 3 places, but is missing an upper control arm so if that one fails, it could cause big problems. Again, I've never heard of that being a serious issue.

As was said, search, search, and search some more. NAXJA is a wonderful resource, full of info.

____[insert brand of choice here]____ is the absolute best, and anything else would be a waste of your money.

/sums up every post that the search will turn up.

And thereby every post that he'd receive here...

Look around and there is actual tech/info and knowledge to be found.

Rough Country makes the most inexpensive long arm kit I have seen and many people seem to be happy with it. The only real problem people tend to complain about is the flex joints seem to wear out pretty quick but a phone call to Rough Country and they will ship you some new joints for free.

If I had some more money to play with I would get Ironman 4x4 long arms and Clayton's crossmember.

Poly Performance. They make a 3 link and 4 link. Kinda pricey, but worth it in my book. Their 3-link is awesome.

Shit works. Just sayin...

2011-07-23_18-19-23_695-1.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

And ZOMG no unloading on steep climbs!

CVclimb2.jpg

And I drive 3 hours back and forth to the trails on the highway, 65-70 the whole way, no sway bar. Actually just did the drive and I'm wheeling this weekend.

FrankZ/Serious off-road has a nice longarm kit.

FrankZ/Serious off-road has a nice longarm kit.

Good price, too. That's what i'm planning on going with in the next month or two. I couldn't tell you whether it's the best out there or not, but they all seem pretty comparable.

there are lots of good Longarm upgrade kits, I went with roughcountry's longarm upgrade with my RE springs and bilsteins it rides super nice on the road, I will say that the price was the main reason I went with this kit and they've got awsome customer service. Also this isn't a hardcore wheeler, it's more of a dailydriver weekend wheeler.

I don't think I've ever heard of complaints of 3/4 links unloading, just radius arms. Just sayin...

Well since everyone was talking about Ironman/Serious/other radius arm kits, I thought I'd throw that in there as a plus side of getting a 3-link. Poly's kit isn't very well known and I've only seen a few XJ's even on the forums that have it. I took a chance on it and I'm very glad I did.

Back