• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Silver Star - Ed's Trail: 7/27/11

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
That's right TORX has traded 4 tires, for 2 feet. :D

The weather was nice, I had the day off, so I packed up the goofy dog and went to the local "Silver Star" trail head for a day hike. Pictures aren't that great, since I didn't want to pack the good camera.
P1060048.jpg

Little bit of cloud cover in the morning, but it would hopefully burn off.
P1050727.jpg

Maybe a mile or so up the trail you have the option of taking "Ed's Trail" which follows the ridge side, and features some scrambles. The other option is taking the former "road" on top of the ridge. I opted for Ed's Trail on the climb up.
P1060005.jpg

That's what makes it worth it.
P1060006.jpg

"Indian Paintbrush"
P1060007.jpg

"Bear Grass"
P1060010.jpg

Eventually the trail breaks out on top of the ridge.
P1060011.jpg

Archway
P1060015.jpg

Little rock scramble. The dog was already at the top when I got there, which makes me wonder how he got up.
P1060016.jpg

Next trail junction.
P1060041.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Silver Star: 7/27/11

Another mile or so you'll reach the "false summit".
P1060019.jpg

Turn around and you'll see the actual summit.
P1060021.jpg

If I remember correctly there use to be an old fire look out on the summit (hence the concrete pad). Summit = 4390ft.
P1060024.jpg

View from the top.
P1060026.jpg

I made good time on the way up, so I set out to explore a bit with the goal of finding the "Indian Pits." I stopped at the rock out cropping in the back ground. Never did find the Indian Pits though, it's been awhile since I've been up there.
P1060029.jpg

Future Yacolt Burn ORV Trail system in the back ground, with the Columbia River behind it.
P1060037.jpg

After messing around a bit, I headed back down via the Chinook Trail. Still a decent amount of snow in some spots.
P1060043.jpg

~30 years ago this use to be an actual road, where you could drive to the summit. Only open to foot traffic today.
P1060044.jpg

Follow the trail back down the ridge.
P1060047.jpg

The drive back down was fairly uneventful. Although, on the way up a large water bar managed to stop me in my tracks. The Stocker decided to rock a rear wheel stand, and with an open diff I was denied. Yes, I had to evaluate my "line" on a Forest Service road. :roflmao:

Re: Silver Star: 7/27/11

Looks like a great area! I really want to hit some of our local hiking trails before the summer is over.

Thanks for sharing

Awesome pics Dustin ! Where exactly is this ? and how long is the hike round trip ? Id like to check it out !

6 miles, quick day hike yea right! Remember he is what 15 years younger then us?

Dave

NwScott was making fun of me! So I had to change my signature from the Tapatalk provided one to. I love my iPad and PC's suck the black pickle! (black pickle quote from Adam Sandler)

Oh and I'm sure there's no beer pong table at the summit.

Dave

NwScott was making fun of me! So I had to change my signature from the Tapatalk provided one to. I love my iPad and PC's suck the black pickle! (black pickle quote from Adam Sandler)

That's right TORX has traded 4 tires, for 2 feet. :D

The weather was nice, I had the day off, so I packed up the goofy dog and went to the local "Silver Star" trail head for a day hike. Pictures aren't that great, since I didn't want to pack the good camera.
P1060048.jpg

Little bit of cloud cover in the morning, but it would hopefully burn off.
P1050727.jpg

Maybe a mile or so up the trail you have the option of taking "Ed's Trail" which follows the ridge side, and features some scrambles. The other option is taking the former "road" on top of the ridge. I opted for Ed's Trail on the climb up.
P1060005.jpg

That's what makes it worth it.
P1060006.jpg

"Indian Paintbrush"
P1060007.jpg

"Bear Grass"
P1060010.jpg

Eventually the trail breaks out on top of the ridge.
P1060011.jpg

Archway
P1060015.jpg

Little rock scramble. The dog was already at the top when I got there, which makes me wonder how he got up.
P1060016.jpg

Next trail junction.
P1060041.jpg

So after reviewing the pictures with my wife for a second time. What the heck is your bad camera an SLR? Those ar some great pics. My wife asked what are those? I told her just a minute he knows the names of all that stuff. It was the bear grass.

Dave

Back