• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aj's tanker bumper questions

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
Well after a little fender bender I might be ordering up a new rear bumper with possible tire carrier pending on cash given for the damage done to my xj. Can anyone give me a good description of aj's rear bumper with the wrap around sides? Was it a pain to mount up? Fitment issues? Latching mechanism make a lot of noise? I love the way his looks but I really don't think I can wait up to 12 weeks for a rear bumper....

Whos ordered directly from him recently? Has he gotten caught up with sending out orders since last I heard a while back he was way behind due to house problems.

Lastly how do you like wheeling with a big tire out back? I wheel at Rausch creek running blacks recently so some trails can be tight with trees and what not. That bumper looks sick so if you can give me your thoughts on it please it would really help my desicion as I basically need a bumper that wraps around and covers up the lower rear quarter panel area.

Give him a call, Last I heard he was caught up. I don't think you'll have to wait 12 weeks for a bumper. I don't run an AJ's bumper but I do run a tire carrier out back and I really enjoy it, give me a ton of space inside. I do hit my tire coming down a couple obstacles but nothing major.

Lastly how do you like wheeling with a big tire out back? I wheel at Rausch creek running blacks recently so some trails can be tight with trees and what not. That bumper looks sick so if you can give me your thoughts on it please it would really help my desicion as I basically need a bumper that wraps around and covers up the lower rear quarter panel area.

I've got a Detours Tailbone with a 35" tire on the back and I do all the hard stuff at Rausch. Don't think the tire ever stopped me from doing anything on the trails or held me up at all. Personally, I'd rather not have it back there though so I can see better and have more room to back up in tight spots. I usually just take the wheel off the carrier and leave it on someone's trailer in the parking lot.

Definitely a good idea to have some side protection over the cut and folded corners. Mine are pretty mashed up, even folded up on 35's. Need to design and fab a bumper asap.

Ya its the only thing im concerned with really, visibility during DD and backing up on tight trails. If its to heavy and sags the rear I'll just throw another leaf in my pack as I plan on getting relocation brackets in the near future anyway.

The cut and folded area will be nice because thats where a lot of the damage from the accident occured... on both sides of the xj (don't even ask how that happend but it did). It depends on how much I get for the damage from insurance since that area back there is structural, the pushed in area goes up to almost by the gas cap area but I think I can push that out from the inside, not to sure.

If anyones got pics of ajs bumper whether tire carrier or not please post them up because I plan on going with either one of the options!

Back