• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please give advice...Alignment woes

dAng! XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, I recently installed TnT Long Arms on my '96 Cherokee. I have 4 1/2in of lift. After I installed the kit, I did my own alignment just to get things close. I kept the same caster and pinion angle as the previous short arm lift. My problem is with the pinion pointed straight at the transfer case my coil springs bow towards the front of the Jeep. So I called TnT Customs and asked them what it should look like, they told me to make the coil buckets more flat and the pinion angle was not "as" important. So I did this, and the Jeep rode better, drove better, and had less noises. So today I took it to get a real alignment at a reputable shop. I get the Jeep back and they set the caster back to where it was. I specifically asked them to set everything to within factory specs. Sorry for the long post and I will ask my question more directly now.

What are the coil buckets and pinion angle supposed to look like with 4 1/2 inches of lift? I don't want to know angles or factory specs because I know all of that already. I just want to know if i should leave it or change the caster so that the springs do not bow outwards toward the front of the Jeep.

Thanks for any help provided, and I am very sorry for the long post.

For the front end unless you're building the axle it's a give/take relationship. If you point the pinion 2* below the t/c output as it should be then as you saw the springs bow forward because the bottom spring mounts are tilted forward. If you rotate it down to get the springs straight then the pinion isn't pointing exactly where it should be. If you already rotated it down and it drove fine and no noises or anything then I'd do it again to prevent premature wear on the springs.

Back