• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Probably obsessing over nothing: AC component manufacturer advise?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a couple threads on AC diagnostics thus far, but have committed to biting the bullet and doing a full system replacement (shy of the blend doors and blower). Now, I've let my mind run away with things and have started obsessing over the manufacturers of the components...

A guy from JeepAir.com just told me on the phone that their compressor is made "in a Sanden factory in China", which I've gotta say is utter BS given that OE originals are made in the USA, and their part is compatible with 6+ Sanden part numbers. I guess it really is just a Sanden reproduction.

Should I even worry this much? It's going to be an extremely time-consuming repair (and somewhat expensive since I need to buy a vacuum pump and other tools along the way, parts aside) that I never, ever want to repeat, which is ultimately why I'm caught up on this aspect of it... Will just about any "OE quality" (quoted for a reason) compressor suffice? Any there any particular manufacturers or vendors I should be aware of, for better or worse?

Most compressors are just reman units anyway, and you are obsessing a bit. One of the Federal Mogul guys I had a class with said most of their stuff is made in china now, too. The key is oversight. Good companies know the quality of the stuff made there. Murray is a good brand, Sanden is too. Just get one with a good warranty and add the correct type and amount of oil and you should be good.

I've done a full replacement of my system except for the hoses evaporator and expansion valve. To save some money I used a rebuilt compressor from Spectra it's been over a year now and have had no problems.

I replaced my OEM A/C compressor with a chinese one.
Still works strong after 2 yrs.

dont skip steps. replace all breakable parts. A shop fixed the evaporator. (last shop repair ever!) 2 weeks later the compressor locked up. another $100 a/c refill sucked!

Good deal. Yeah, the whole system's gonna be replaced... Gonna knock out a timing chain replacement while I'm in there too since I've gotta remove the radiator anyway.

I guess I'll give the Chinese compressor a look... My system has been overcharged and completely drained several times, and no parts have ever been replaced, so I think it's wise to go ahead and get it all taken care of...

Arnt the OEM Sandens made in Japan?

Try RockAuto, you can basically get an entire AC system for them. Usually I can get NEW components for the cost of Remans at a brick and mortar store. but you have to wait a week.

Holy crap, RockAuto will save me a bundle of money ($527 shipped, including the condenser and a new Spectra compressor). How the hell have I always known of RockAuto, but never bothered to look?

Now, with the savings, I'm looking at nabbing a timing chain set and water pump... Should be a painfully fun repair.

Wow... I think I got a pretty good deal, all things considered. Just ordered:

- Compressor (Spectra)
- Evaporator core (Spectra)
- Accumulator (Spectra)
- Heater core (Spectra)
- Condenser (TYC)
- Suction/discharge hose (Four Seasons)
- Orifice tube/liquid line (Four Seasons)
- O-ring kit (Four Seasons)

Then I tracked down a 5% discount coupon code, and placed the order.

Grand total, with shipping? $502.75

I'm pretty f'n stoked. The total cost, with new tools to buy, will be less than it was going to be through JeepAir.com. Rock on.

You really are going all out even pulling the dash. I think I spent over $500 when I did mine and it was all worth it. Now all I have to do is turn on the AC when it's hot. It's been maintenance free so far.

Good deal. I was prepared to spend nearly $1,000 on a proper repair, as I've never owned a car whose AC was trouble-free. My XJ is the first vehicle in which I've really wanted to achieve that goal... I can't tell you how much I've spent on refrigerant thus far.

In any case, I may have overlooked something: on a 2001 XJ, is the expansion valve a separate component or part of the evaporator core? I see it listed as a separate part for '91 through '96 models, but can't seem to find any references to it for a 2001.

Thoughts?

*EDIT* The only "expansion valves" I see for 2001 XJs appears to be orifice tube (contained within the liquid line and generally sold as a complete assembly from what I've seen). What in the hell is the orifice tube?

*EDIT #2* Turns out modern systems use orifice tubes rather than expansion valves. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Back