• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Swap?

emptypockets86

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sorry if this questions is a bit newbish... :dunce:

I bought a '92 XJ that I was planning on fixing up for trail-use only. However, the deeper I dug into it, it became clear it was going to be a headache to get going (electrical gremlins, lots and lots of hacked wiring). I only have a couple hundred in it, so I figured I'd salvage what I could out of it and junk the rest.

The '92 has a 27 spline 8.25 in it and my '86 has the non c-clip D35. Would it be worth it to swap it into my '86? At most, my '86 will see 31's. I hope to lock it at some point (which is why I thought go with the 8.25 and upgrade to 29 spline when I do). I'm tight on cash though, so in the interim, I would be running it 27 spline. I dd my '86, but it's my weekend warrior as well. I run mostly wooded trails in which I see a little bit of everything, probably mild to moderate compared to most.

Stats on my '86: 2.8L, NP207, TF9xx, 2"+ lift, 29" tires

Should add, if I swap the 8.25 in I plan on shaving the pumpkin and moving the lower shock mounts up.

Thanks ahead of time!

Back