• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire at Los Coyotes.

Jump This

Just another minion!
This is the slowest moving fire I've ever seen.
But....it keeps moving toward us. Watching the flames is a bit surreal.
2011-07-24_20-19-39_296.jpg

Hey rick i got a trailer that we can use if needed. It is just sitting here and i got a truck to tow it with.You got my number or you can hit me here.It is a enclosed trailer.

Was that taken from your house?

Is it humid out by you guys? High humidity can keep down a fires pace.

hey Rick, let us know if you need any help. plan ahead is a good idea. that is some scary stuff when it is happening to you and your property. i will NEVER forget the feeling when we had the fire storm run through fallbrook. i woke up early, saw the smoke miles away. before any threat was posted, i went down and fueled the trucks, hooked up the 5th wheel toyhauler to one, and told the wife to pick one of the boats and hooked it to the other truck. drove a couple cars to the local school parking lot, then started loading the 5th wheel with all the important keepsakes. man that is one hard thing to do when in a hurry, and knowing what you leave you may never see again. after shutting off the gas, and electrical, i set up a sprinkler on the roof. then got the call. not to start evacuating, or packing, but they actually said "get the fuq out now". gave my 7 month pregnant wife a new resperator, and two fire extinguishers on the front seat of one truck with the boat, as she followed me in the other with the 5th wheel. going through town the line to get fuel was all the way through town in the center lane. we had to escape single file through camp pendelton.

i tell this to you because we understand the feeling. SCARY.... so i have the f550 and an 8' x 15' flat bed ready to go if you need us. i will PM you with my number again.

wow, i just realized this thread was from yesterday. has anyone heard from Rick since? does he need any help?

He didn't call and the news hasn't said it is close to him yet, so i think he is good to go.I'm out here by him in the desert, so i get news from his area too.

ok cool, thanks scott. i PMed him my home number and should be around all day. if any of you get into trouble and need help, just let me know.
on a side note. we in fallbrook never got any warning from the news or service departments. i just happen to wake up early and saw the smoke way over the hills toward temecula since i am ontop of the hill, and knew with the winds it will end up in our town. most of the town got hit by surprise and were stuck here sleeping in cars ect at the local albertsons and other large parking lots in town. even when i went to the sheriffs office to ask were our escape route was, they told me they know nothing about any fires threatening fallbrook. i made them come outside and take a look. i then made them call camp pendelton to get permission to enter the base through the back gate and that became the ONLY way out of fallbrook. it is just after the albertsons parking lot. thats why it got so bottled up and mayham struck. we were lucky to be the 3rd and 4th vehicle through the gate. after that i heard it got crazy from everyone panicking. like a boyscout, be prepared. fire is unpredictable and when you think you have time, you dont.
good luck out there guys.
scott, i will PM you my number just in case.

cool. good to hear. i lost his number, so had no way to contact him other than here. thanks for your help...victor

Have you ever seen a desert fire? They move fast for being on sand, talking miles in a flash john. Not being a smart A$$ but they do haul A$$

Its all good out here. But I can't believe how slowly the mountain was burning.
It might have moved down the mountain 100 yards and burned all night long. When I got up I saw a bigish flair up but it looked to have put itself out.
Cal Fire has four heli's on it as I'm writting this...

Nice to hear rick, but i have the truck and trailer sitting waiting for your call, i can be there in about a hour.I got a friends badge to get thru the road blocks if needed.

I reported a fire on thursday night when I was flying back from 29 palms. It was about 20 to 30 feet high and about 30 to 40 feet diameter. This fire was really roaring. We were flying about 150 KIAS so we got to look at it for a while.

Sorry to here that it is so close to you house.

Fire wasn't tooooo close. I never packed anything and was never warned that there might be a problem.
I've heard that the fire is moving so slowly that they are using it for a lot of training.
Thats okay with me.

Glad everyone seems to be ok. i guess it is good they are useing the slow burn for training. they do controlled burns on camp pendelton all the time. saturday they had one that made the air so friggin smokey over south fallbrook, i had to drive over to cal fire to make sure nothing jumped. not sure why the marines just dont use heavy equipment to make their fire breaks so close to town, but hey, the base is pretty much the last frontier. they can do whatever they want for the most part.
like scott said, we have trucks and trailers at the ready for you guys. stay safe.

I've been to your place, not much that i can see in terms of brush and what not. Then again, i don't know much about fires.

Back