• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where can i find?

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
do any of you guys know where i can buy a refurbished front xj shaft? i need to pick up 2 of them. i can have mine done but i think it will be less expensive to just buy them. i thought iron rock off road used to carry them for 100 buck a piece but i cant find it on their site. thanks.

pull 2 at the junkyard and bring them to me. parts plus $40 and I'll make em like new.

of course the gas to come down here might make it less worth your while :dunno:

Banning Driveline inspected, balanced, straigtened, and lubed both my junkyard DS's for $45 a piece. They even scrubbed them down and put a fresh coat of paint on them. The small vibes I was getting from then went away and they look new. Seemed like a great deal to me and the guy was rather friendly. Just don't be scarred off by the grungy hole in the wall shop they have. They do good work. Here's of couple pics of the rear one they did.

driveshaft1.jpg

driveshaft2.jpg

i have 2 front shafts now but i think the u joints can use replacing and the pivot balls in the double cardan have alot of play and no grease left in them. they both feel really sloppy. what do i need as far as parts? boost 30 for both? sounds good to me as long as theyre in good shape.

Banning Driveline inspected, balanced, straigtened, and lubed both my junkyard DS's for $45 a piece. They even scrubbed them down and put a fresh coat of paint on them. The small vibes I was getting from then went away and they look new. Seemed like a great deal to me and the guy was rather friendly. Just don't be scarred off by the grungy hole in the wall shop they have. They do good work. Here's of couple pics of the rear one they did.

driveshaft1.jpg

driveshaft2.jpg

Oof. The front drivelines in the rear are not ideal. They *work* but I don't recomment them as a permanent solution. The splines on them are small and they develop play easily.

yeah i have heard the same thing. im just trying to get my rig back on the road. later on i will drop the coin when i have it for better shafts. i do like that the the front and rear shafts are interchangeable with the stock front setup though. im not even sure if i will wheel hard enough the break them. only time will tell.

Don't listen to Boostamante. He's confused. He had front axle shafts, not front driveshafts. And since I picked up those front axle shafts he doesn't have them either.

And I'm not sure about listening to Cracker either. I don't know what size tires you have on your rig, but I think the front drive shaft in the rear works pretty well until you start running 35's or bigger, mostly bigger. The good thing is that they are cheap and easy to change so it's easy to carry a spare and if it becomes a problem you can upgrade to something custom.

Don't listen to Boostamante. He's confused. He had front axle shafts, not front driveshafts. And since I picked up those front axle shafts he doesn't have them either.

And I'm not sure about listening to Cracker either. I don't know what size tires you have on your rig, but I think the front drive shaft in the rear works pretty well until you start running 35's or bigger, mostly bigger. The good thing is that they are cheap and easy to change so it's easy to carry a spare and if it becomes a problem you can upgrade to something custom.

I will admit that I have already gone through 2 rear driveshafts (which are actually stock fronts) but I ran the entire Rubicon on 35's with lockers with no issue. I have also ran most of the hammer trails with no issue. What's even better is that my spare works for the front and rear and was picked up at the junkyard for $30. I even had Banning Driveline check that one out and balance it. The two shafts I damaged still got me home. One was damaged when my wife got caught in a mudslide and I tried to rock it out of the mud cracking a joint. The other got bent comming off a rock in the hammers and landing directly on the rear shaft. It had a horrible woble but got me off the trail. The stock shafts are definatley not comparable to custom built shafts, but with a soft foot they do well and for the price and easy availabity at the local JY they are a viable option. I do understand that at 35" tires I'm pushing my luck but with 33's I think a stock front would be fine, and IF I do break it, I have a clean, inexpesive, balanced spare ready to pop in.

And this comes from your years of vast knowledge? :rolleyes:

The size of the tire is irrelavant. The splines are tiny and the surface contact area connecting the two halves of the driveline is minimal. Get a real driveline made for the rear by a reputable driveline shop and you'll see exactly the significant difference.

BTW, nice meeting you tonight .!. :D .!.

No years of vast knowledge here. I know next to nothing. But I'm happy to keep running my 33's on a front driveshaft and even more happy to encourage Bails to keep running his...

Nice meeting you too.:)

And this comes from your years of vast knowledge? :rolleyes:

BTW, nice meeting you tonight .!. :D .!.

Nice meeting you too.:)

He's a nice guy isn't he? :p

The front drive shaft that i ran in the rear finally gave out a while back. There was play in the U joint and in the CV. Im guessing beating it out on JV, the Rubicon and Big Bear caused this. Oh well, it was 30 bucks put to good use.

While i can see where MR poopy pants Cracker is going, i see nothing wrong with carrying a couple spares if you can't pony up the cash for a more HD one. On the flip side, its kinda nice paying a little more up front and not having to carry so much crap in or on the rig. Not to mention the countless trips to the JY or what not. Ask me how i know? ASK ME!!!!!!!

i called a few driveline shopsto have them rebuild the front shafts i have. they were all 150+. is this the going rate or are those guys on crack. i just want to rebuild the d.c. and replace the u joints. im not exactly sure if the d.c's are bad. there is no grease in them so i fugred the seal is bad and they need to be fixed up a little bit. where can i find parts? and what exactly will i need to do the job? believe me i would love to buy a reputable front and rear set of shafts but it isnt in the budget right now.

take them apart, it's rare for the uniball to be completely ruined. if you can come down to my area with them I'll let you use my shop and make you do all the work for a 12 pack. all it will cost you is gas money and some beers.

ok so what parts will i need and is there anywhere local to get them if needed. i know you are a napa manager and can get the u joints but if the unibal and seal is bad then what.

Back