• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thick grey fluid in diffs?

drkstrurethane

NAXJA Forum User
after spending a while in a creek the other day today i changed my diff fluids... when i drained them it came out a dark grey colour. im assuming this is the first time they have been drained. the jeep has 119k on it. does anyone know what this means? is it just because it possibly has spent too much time in water dust ect?

if its metal flakes you may want to pull the covers and make sure the gears are wearing correctly...

both mine always have a silver/gray tint to them when they come out, but never a dark grey...

no flakes. the covers were pulled and the gears looked to be in great condition.
so are you saying this is normal? ive never done this before so i dont know what im looking for.

if they are milky... and foamy then you have water in there... if they are just grey then you have used fluid.

If your diff fluid looks like the picture, the gear oil was contaminated with water. Did you check your breather tubes ?

standard.jpg

I think I'll refurbish my D35 and set it up in the kitchen as a milkshake machine with a see-through cover.

I just need to decide which makes better shakes - 3.07, 3.55 or 4.10 gears.

I'm sure the wife would love it.

I think I'll refurbish my D35 and set it up in the kitchen as a milkshake machine with a see-through cover.

I just need to decide which makes better shakes - 3.07, 3.55 or 4.10 gears.

I'm sure the wife would love it.

I would think the higher (numerically lower) the better... that way you get more frothing action for fewer turns of the pinion....

this actually isn't a horrible Idea. my uncle build a margarita blender out of a weedwhacker, it will turn a handle of jose, a gallon of mix, and a block of Ice into a good time in about 30 seconds...:anon:

I would think the higher (numerically lower) the better... that way you get more frothing action for fewer turns of the pinion....

this actually isn't a horrible Idea. my uncle build a margarita blender out of a weedwhacker, it will turn a handle of jose, a gallon of mix, and a block of Ice into a good time in about 30 seconds...:anon:

That my friend, is a work of engineering genius. Most of the great engineers I know have used thier unique skills to enhance thier
Imbibing experiences. A freakin weed wacker!!! :puke:

Back