• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a new tranny for 1998 Xj, Where to buy a torque convertor?

This Jeep is in the country of Panama so its hard to buy parts for it so I do it when I am in the USA which I am now.

It is a 1998 XJ Auto 4wd

Anyway the reverse went out and I need to get the parts to get it fixed.

I was going to go with this kit -
Super Rebuild Kit, Aw4 Automatic Transmission - but I also think it would be smart to replace the torque convertor while doing this. Problem is after much searching can not figure out where to get a torque convertor for this jeep?

Once I get the tranny working I am going to replace the cooling system and then throw a lift kit on it so trying to do everything right with upgraded parts that will be solid.

Eventually I plan on getting the 4.6 L engine from Golden Engine
http://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/jeep/4-6270hp-jeep-long-block/ but before I get to that point need to get the thing running solid and jacked up with the 4.0 that is in it.

Thanks for any help you can give.
CC

Get another transmission, AW4's are dirt cheap. Not sure how you'll get that to panama though.....

I was going to go with this kit - Super Rebuild Kit, Aw4 Automatic Transmission - but I also think it would be smart to replace the torque convertor while doing this. I think THIS is the torque convertor for a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4wd but not 100% sure.

You do not think this is a better option?

I'm just saying an AW4 is a cheap and reliable transmission. Sure you can rebuild it but why not buy a known good transmission for say $150 and a torque converter saving 350 bucks.

If you buy a good used somewhat low mileage AW4 you can almost bet it'll be good for 200k+ miles. The rebuild kit would do the same thing. I was just throwing my opinion out there. Doesn't necessarily mean its right! :D

Back