• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oem parts discontinued?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
I placed an order on moparonlineparts.com for my 89 xj(yep its a classic)and after confirming my order they sent me an email today saying that the parts I ordered have been discontinued.
WTF???
I ordered a TPS for a manual trans 89 xj and a fuel psi regulator for the same jeep....both discontinued???
Looking for a good source for discount oem parts....

Last edited:
well looks like its true...just got off the phone with the parts guy.So now I'm left trying to find quality replacements for my 89.
What brands are you guys having luck with for the renix era xjs?
Crown?

Crown and OmixAda are the lowest priced parts suppliers. Expect the parts to be the lowest quality also.

NAPA has good quality parts.

You should order the TPS for the Automatic. You simply don't use the other connector and they are far cheaper anyway.

Is it a fairly simple process to use the auto tps on a standard xj?

I cant believe ive been trolling these boards all these years and never read about the option of using the auto tps.....appreciate the heads up old man.

So napa is probably the best hope of getting halfway decent
Sensors?

Just about every sensor out there is manufactured by Standard, with the differences being the product packaging and the customer specs (material quality, sensitivity thresholds, etc). The price you pay has little relationship to actual quality--I have paid for premium sensors that are completely wrong, and I have bought cheap autozone sensors that are exactly correct. Pick one, install it, replace it if it doesn't work.

Whats your source for that info ehall?

What i want to avoid is being stuck with a crappy running jeep in the future because i used cheap sensors and the wasted time diagnosing why the jeep is running crappy...ya know???

Or you could go to the junkyard and pull several of them and test each one till one worked. I did that when my TPS went. I pulled like 4 and the 2nd worked just dandy. Now I have 2 OEM spares to use if the other goes bad.

I would be down with that but renix era jeeps are getting harder to find than sasquatch these days....ten years ago when i bought my 89 they were at every yard on any day....

Im still on the prowl for quality replacements....what brands seem to be the best?Tps and fuel psi regulator are the last things on this jeep I havent replaced yet...everything,and I mean EVERYTHING else. You can imagine on this jeep have been replaced or rebuilt in the last ten years!!!

I'll be putting the current tps and fuel psi in my spares box that goes everywhere the jeep does as these parts arent bad yet.I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance

For the TPS, I'd recommend Wells or Airtex brand which are both manufactured by Wells using USA components. SMP (Standard Motors Products) used to be ok, but lately some of their product has been sub-standard China junk. If the SMP box says made in USA it's okay but Wells IMHO is better

A company called BLD makes the fuel pressure regulators here in the US for aftermarket as well as OE. SMP should have the BLD product in their box.

True story and about 1/3 the price. Simple.

X2^^ been there- done it- works fine

Just about every sensor out there is manufactured by Standard, with the differences being the product packaging and the customer specs (material quality, sensitivity thresholds, etc). The price you pay has little relationship to actual quality--I have paid for premium sensors that are completely wrong, and I have bought cheap autozone sensors that are exactly correct. Pick one, install it, replace it if it doesn't work.

I might not go so far as to say just about every one is made by Standard, but there is definitely a very incestuous relationship in that industry where some parts made by one competitor end up being sold/traded to another for other items that they make. It is understandably cheaper for Standard Motor Products, Wells Manufacturing, Echlin, and others to have "back end" agreements that allow each manufacturer to consolidate their individual line of product and supplement their offerings with traded goods.

Once you add the consolidation of the industry (buying up smaller manufacturers) and front line (retail and wholesale end) product line changes, you end up with a product that was made by any one of the big players that has been boxed and re-boxed, labeled and re-labeled, and identified based on number cross references enough times to ensure you have not certainty where it started it's life.

My opinion is that if it's made in the North America, you will probably get a quality part-- and the country of origin label is one thing that is still closely watched in the packaging process.

Whats your source for that info ehall?

What i want to avoid is being stuck with a crappy running jeep in the future because i used cheap sensors and the wasted time diagnosing why the jeep is running crappy...ya know???

Rockauto, BWD and Standard Motor Products were discussed a few months ago on here-- lemme see.....

edit-- added link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051799

I might not go so far as to say just about every one is made by Standard, but there is definitely a very incestuous relationship in that industry where some parts made by one competitor end up being sold/traded to another for other items that they make. It is understandably cheaper for Standard Motor Products, Wells Manufacturing, Echlin, and others to have "back end" agreements that allow each manufacturer to consolidate their individual line of product and supplement their offerings with traded goods.
If you follow the online catalogs, almost all of them end up at a Standard Products cookie-cutter web page. Echlin, BWD, Autozone, pretty much all of the ones I could follow ended up there. I don't know about true OEM parts like AC Delco and Mopar, but I know they don't manufacture their own parts so it is highly likely that they are getting them from Standard too

agreed completely, but that still only gets you as far back in the process as the cataloging. All of the above mentioned manufacturers are OEM suppliers and there's no telling what parts came from which supplier on an assembly line or in a parts house.

I think we're actually saying the same thing in different words.:cheers:

Another thing is that Standard actually owns a bunch of the companies you see around. They own Four Seasons and BWD, for example, so you might see a part from either of those and also from Standard, but they are all the same bread basket but different production specs (Four Seasons brand is higher quality than Standard brand)

I have also started to notice Dorman sensors and switches, when they didn't use to sell them. They are also different materials than the Standard parts, so maybe they are using their own facilities. Also Dorman has long been an OEM supplier too.

My gut is telling me to go with napas echlin brand.Napa tickles my pink parts for some reason....used to get alot of stuff from advance auto but anymore they just seem like odd lots to me compared to napa.

Advance parts have become really crappy of late.What has this country come to when you feel like you are rolling the dice on quality when you buy parts for your car?

Current state of affairs i suppose.The good ole days of craftmanship have been replaced by outsourcing and the lowest bidder....its depressing actually,ya know?

China is slowly taking over and its big business(and we the people)fault but thats a whole different subject so i digress...

My gut is telling me to go with napas echlin brand.Napa tickles my pink parts for some reason....used to get alot of stuff from advance auto but anymore they just seem like odd lots to me compared to napa.

Advance parts have become really crappy of late.What has this country come to when you feel like you are rolling the dice on quality when you buy parts for your car?

Current state of affairs i suppose.The good ole days of craftmanship have been replaced by outsourcing and the lowest bidder....its depressing actually,ya know?

China is slowly taking over and its big business(and we the people)fault but thats a whole different subject so i digress...

You're correct Outlander. China has no environmental responsibility or oversight, pays crappo wages, has an abominable human rights reputation, and steal our designs.

Back