• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing heims with johnnys on RK 3 link

XGarfX

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says, I have an older style weld on/straight arms (Gen II I believe) Rock Krawler 3 link long arm. The heims will eventually need to get replaced but I would like to change them to Currie Johnny joints or something similar. I know for sure that the frame side upper control arm heim is a 3/4" shank but I dont know anything else about the joint such as thread pitch and what size misalighment I would need. The lowers I have no idea about and I dont think RK will give me their specs so I can run off and buy different joints.

If any of you have swapped heims to johnnys on the older weld on 3 link kit let me know what joints you ordered and if you liked it better. Heims on both ends is getting old and I miss the johnnys on my old short arms.

Did you buy the kit yourself new? I didn't think that rk came with heims, rather their own cartridge style joint.

I bought the kit used but it was originally purchased in 05 give or take. Its the kit with straight arms and the brackets are bolted then welded on, the upper frame side control arm bracket is seperate unlike the new style kits they have.

The joint seems to be a non serviceable joint besides having a small grease fitting. Its kinda like a "sealed" heim I would say. I can't see anyway of actually opening this joint like the newer ones and other types of joints now used more commonly.

The joints look almost identical to this but also have alignment spacers on the side -> https://catalog.foothilloffroad.com/images/QA1Heim.gif

I had the Gen 2 kit installed in 2004. I have the same idea to replace the heim joints and had called Rock Krawler. The heim joint specs are 3/4" shank and the threads are 16 tpi and RHD.

I've read before that they're smaller than 1 1/4". Sorry, that's all I got.

lowers are 1" diameter and 14 tpi

my rk joints have been in 3 xjs, over 100k miles, wheeled and driven in every condition and never been greased and they are still quiet and still as tight as new.

and to add to all that i snapped the grease fittings off when i tried installing them or something and there has been a gaping hole there the whole time

Ok, Called RK.

The real early stuff was 3/4-16 upper and lower

The mid year stuff with the one piece bracket Is 3/4-16 upper and 1/1-14 lower.

The Newest stuff uses a 3/4-16 upper and 7/8-14 lower.

Now I just have to find a 1"-14 tap...

lowers are 1" diameter and 14 tpi

my rk joints have been in 3 xjs, over 100k miles, wheeled and driven in every condition and never been greased and they are still quiet and still as tight as new.

and to add to all that i snapped the grease fittings off when i tried installing them or something and there has been a gaping hole there the whole time

Oh yeah, same here. I haven't had a problem with the joints as much as the threads need to be cleaned out. Over the years they've become a little boogered and castor adjustments are near impossible.

Back