• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 shifter siezed

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
I need some T-case wizards.

I recently swapped in a 231J from a 97 TJ into my 99 XJ to replace my 242 with a stretched chain. the t-case worked fine for 3 days, I shifted it in and out of 4wd maybe 4 times.
I drove it about 50 miles. decided to change the fluid, test drove it and it will not shift.

I have tried disconnecting the linkage and shifting it by hand, I have removed both driveshafts, driven in reverse, forwards... etc.

anything else I can do besides splitting the case and re-building it.

Has a SYE been installed in it? Some of those later Tcases require cutting the shift rail that runs through is. Maybe the PO cut it to short and its fallin in the case unable to slide freely. Just a thought. If you can't shift it with a cresent wrench at the case.. Its inside the case. Here is the shift rail i'm talking about.

If NO SYE... You'll still need to split the case and have a look to see whats come loose or binding inside. The shift fork in side is pretty simple.

Last edited:
yea.. it has a hack-n-tap SYE so the shift rail doesn't need to be trimmed.

I have tried shifting it with a wrench and it won't budge.

looks like tomorrow I will be splitting the case....

I imagine the shift fork is stuck on something.

actually it turns out that the shift indicator switch had broken and was extended too far, thus binding up the range selector

standard.jpg

Back