• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What renix ecu will work?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
What renix era ecu's will interchange into my 89 xj auto? any newer ones work? Thanks

87 to 90 auto trans WILL work. They all got superceded to the same part number anyway. But, the later years, the better performance. 8953005428 is about the latest one.

Got one out of a 90. Man I'd like to have words with the gentleman who plotted the final positioning of the ecm :mad: .Applied stabalant 22a contact promoter to all the pins, and cleaned the female connector. It fired right up after the swap, went for a drive it was shifting funny and falling on its face. Reset the memory and its perfect. tcm must hold memory..

Got one out of a 90. Man I'd like to have words with the gentleman who plotted the final positioning of the ecm :mad: .Applied stabalant 22a contact promoter to all the pins, and cleaned the female connector. It fired right up after the swap, went for a drive it was shifting funny and falling on its face. Reset the memory and its perfect. tcm must hold memory..

look at it this way, it could be under the hood where it gets subjected to water/mud and heat. :roflmao:

I hate pulling th ECU, and sitting upside down on my head to do it.

FWIW, I drove my wife's 88 XJ for the first time since I replaced her ECU with one from a 90. She had told me it runs better but I thought she might be sugar-coating it so as not to hurt my feelings. I was wrong. It's noticeable.

FWIW, I drove my wife's 88 XJ for the first time since I replaced her ECU with one from a 90. She had told me it runs better but I thought she might be sugar-coating it so as not to hurt my feelings. I was wrong. It's noticeable.
It is noticeable on mine too

That's what I remembered from my days as Service Manager and shop foreman at the local Jeep dealership. I just didn't remember it having such a big impact on the throttle response and power.

Yeah, very noticeable on throttle response and power on the higher end. A lot smoother idle too. My torque locks up and unlocks when it is supposed to now as well, It would before randomly.Good swap. I think the $50 bucks will be well worth it in fuel savings alone.

From studying the old Renix wiriing diagrams, the only difference I can see between the Auto and the Manual ECU is that the Auto ECU has an input for "gear selector" which I'm sure is used to keep the idle up when the lever is in gear vs N or P.

Ya same here I'm extremely interested in the 90 ecu swap. I have a 88 with a 5 speed, and I assume the 90 ecu 5spd or auto will work?

Back