• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with brake upgrade

cagdbst

NAXJA Forum User
I did axle swap on my 00 xj and now have dana 44 rubicon axles off a tj. I also have 37 inch pitbulls and a hybrid inner/exo cage. In going from drum to disc brakes and added weight my brakes arent working as good. When im on steep incline or decline, i have the pedal mashed, but jeep still rolls a bit. Ive bled the brakes and everything looks good. Wondering what upgrades people do for this? Any help would be appreciated

37"s on stock brakes? Must be fun to stop.

Standard upgrades include ZJ discs in the rear. Plenty of aftermarket kits or find your parts in the wrecking yard.

Front upgrades include the bolt-on Vancos
http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/121.htm
or a WJ brake conversion, which requires new steering links

You will not get much improvement from the rear disc (I hate drums) but I would do a rear disc setup anyway. The biggest improvement will come from big brakes up front, either Vanco or WJ.
I run 35’s with an Atlas 4 speed 5.44:1 low range, 4.56 gears and have no trouble stopping. I run Vanco big brakes up front, TSM disc in the rear (not the best choice due to the parking brake) and Vanco Hydroboost. With this setup when I say whoa I mean Whoa!

Front upgrades include the bolt-on Vancos
http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/121.htm
or a WJ brake conversion, which requires new steering links

Should have added that the WJ brakes requires moving the track bar mount to the top of the axle and cutting and shortening the track bar to fit.

Do love the Vancos. I'm running the bigger Sport-Trac calipers and Black Magic pads along with ZJ rear disc.
I agree the discs do not add a lot of braking power but they never need adjustment, work better when wet and do not lock up as easily on steep downhills.

Back