• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tbi350 and turbo 350 swap

XJRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Just blew my engine and I'm going with a tbi350 and turbo 350 since its a toy now. Pros and cons of this set up? I can get a stand alone harness for the engine for $350, motor mounts headers x case adapter and radiator from novak. Its an 87 wagoneer so I think this would be the easiest and cheapest route and not as bad with smog crap

TB sucks as does the T-350,you'll want at least a 4L60.

You use what you have. It's a strong runner. It lived for a couple years in a friends Dakota. It's far from the worst engine I've had.

why the 305? thats probably the worst motor chevy has ever produced. The 350 is the same block might as well go with that

NO!!!!! The 2.8 is the worst Chevy motor ever produced. Thats the reason My MJ is getting a 350!

why the 305? thats probably the worst motor chevy has ever produced. The 350 is the same block might as well go with that

NO!!!!! The 2.8 is the worst Chevy motor ever produced. Thats the reason My MJ is getting a 350!
They are both huge boxes of fail, but the 305V8 is a step up.
For what it takes to do this, just pony up some more cash and get a GenIII 5.3+ Gm LS/LQ motor/trans.
I hopefully have a line on a complete, harness ecm and all, ls2/4l80/t-case from a 06 Trailblazer ss for mine.

They are both huge boxes of fail, but the 305V8 is a step up.
For what it takes to do this, just pony up some more cash and get a GenIII 5.3+ Gm LS/LQ motor/trans.
I hopefully have a line on a complete, harness ecm and all, ls2/4l80/t-case from a 06 Trailblazer ss for mine.

5.3 swap would be slick! Good luck on the LS2, hope you're getting a good deal on that!

I've down a lot of research and its not as hard to build reliable power out of a tbi than people think and it will be a lot easier to get through smog in california than an ls2.

A stock 305 is going to be a bit of a dog compared to a good 4.0L. Of course, if it doesn't stay stock,...
The 305's not a bad engine. It's not a performance engine, but there's nothing wrong with it. It has the standard SBC engineering and will hold up pretty well.
If you have a late '70s/early '80s motor, check the factory compression specs. Most of the V-8(all makes) lost a ton of HP in the '70s due to lowering compression. The 304 in my CJ had 7:1 and change.I couldn't believe how much the machine shop knocked off the heads to bring it up to 9:1.
TB injection isn't well understood because it didn't hang around long enough to get a big following. Work's pretty good though.
The TH350 will hold up fine in an XJ. That won't even need built.

Good luck, 'should be a fun project.

We had a couple F/S Chevrolet vans over the years, a '78 with a Carbed 400/TH400 combo and an '87 with a TBI 350/700R4 combo. Dad said that the '78 actually ran better and even got better gas mileage than the '87 did, IIRC the engine ran better longer too. The '87 actually lost some of it's rings before it hit 130k, and the 700R4 started to make noises before it caught fire back in '04.

A stock 305 is going to be a bit of a dog compared to a good 4.0L. Of course, if it doesn't stay stock,...
The 305's not a bad engine. It's not a performance engine, but there's nothing wrong with it. It has the standard SBC engineering and will hold up pretty well.
If you have a late '70s/early '80s motor, check the factory compression specs. Most of the V-8(all makes) lost a ton of HP in the '70s due to lowering compression. The 304 in my CJ had 7:1 and change.I couldn't believe how much the machine shop knocked off the heads to bring it up to 9:1.
TB injection isn't well understood because it didn't hang around long enough to get a big following. Work's pretty good though.
The TH350 will hold up fine in an XJ. That won't even need built.

Good luck, 'should be a fun project.

I'm doing a 350, i wouldnt waste money on a 305.and I bought a 92 tbi today for $250 off my friend. He's putting an ls1 in his silvy. my jeep doesnt have a check engine light but I was told this motor does, but I'm running(or gonna run) an after market stand alone harness, do I need a CEL for smog?

I'm not positive, but I think you'll need a CEL.

FWIW - years ago a friend of mine swapped a TBI350 into his 87 Toyota. He went through the smog referee and it was a 100% legal swap.

I think the 350/350 will be a blast with the power to weight ratio. My friends Toyota was a blast to drive, especially with the welded rear diff.

California smog/swap rules are strange. If memory serves, the engine has to be newer then the chassis(and they don't seem to care if the motor was in production for 20 years with no changes), the motor has to retain all of it's smog gear, and the chassis has to retain all of it's smog gear. I think you do need a functional CEL, but you really need to talk to a smog referee before you get to far into the project.

Back