• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring/Electrical "Mods" from PO Help....

Fornstar

NAXJA Forum User
All,
I just pruchased this jeep a little over a week ago and I am trying to go through it to make sure things are right.

Pic of Jeep
IMG_0414.JPG

The first thing that bothers me is the Temp. gauge. It will only register to a little past the first tick mark on gauge.

Pic of gauge...
IMG_0427.JPG

Thats as high as it goes. When I first got the Jeep it was working fine. I dont like driving around not knowing the exact temp. The PO also made a "mod" to the thermostat housing.
IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Not sure if this is causing the problem or not.

The second thing is that he wired the electric fan to come on when key is in the acc. position. It is wired directly to the fuse block in the cab of the Jeep. This does not really bother me too much but I know it isn't right.
IMG_0430.JPG

Its the Blue wire. Havent figured out what the red, yellow and black are there for yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have not purchased a Haynes/Chilton yet as I am waiting to find a good deal on an FSM.

Matt

Last edited:
For the temp gauge problem get you a 195 degree t-stat and do a coolant flush. Appears the previous owner had some over heating problems. Might have tried a lower temp t-stat or taken it out all together. Good luck.

I see a problem with the "TEE" fitting. If the sensor is not fully into the coolant, it will read low. What the yellow wire is for is a good question as it is not factory. Post what you find!

I think what the PO did was route the Sending unit up to the T-Stat housing and added the Sending unit and Sensor on a TEE connector. Going to get down there today and try to figure out if he did this for a certain reason.

Motor/head swap? The 97+ head doesn't have the hole for the gauge sender. Might have a look at this thread for some alternatives.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1045608

With regards to the wiring... I hate buying someone else's experiment. It's not normally fun, but start chasing wires. The POs work will probably stand out just like that relocated sender.

Here is where I think it should go on the head. There isnt anywhere for it to go. Is there a way to see if the head is off a newer motor?
Head.jpg

Matt

Casting numbers on the head are up top on the driver's side, aren't they? Don't know about identifying the block, but I'm sure the details for both are posted around here somewhere.

The relocated sender is mainly what's making me think the head has been swapped; the stock head would have the port for it.

Think I found the issue. The pigtail that plugs into the sending unit was making a bad connection. Took off the plastic piece and just plugged it in and seems to work. Let it idle for a while and it got up to almost 200*. I was also taking voltage readings as it was idling just out of curiosity. Cant really drive it around right now cause I have had a few cold beers in the process of working on it. Live right by the sheriffs dept. so it can wait till tomorrow.

Matt

With regards to the wiring... I hate buying someone else's experiment. It's not normally fun, but start chasing wires. The POs work will probably stand out just like that relocated sender.

cant be more true... i have an 87 wagoneer and the PO had wires running every which a way, but they all stand out.

cant be more true... i have an 87 wagoneer and the PO had wires running every which a way, but they all stand out.

I hear what yall are saying and know how you feel. It doesn't bother me too much as I knew going in to this it would be a project. I enjoy it and it keeps me busy. This Jeep is a toy and toys need work. Better than watching TV, IMO.

Matt

same, i know i can read a wire diagram pretty well now. good way to see whats what is to take off as much of the dash as you can. and your neck wont cramp up trying to trace wires.

Back