• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti rattle brackets front pads

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
Are the bow tie style anti-rattle brackets used on 2001 XJ front pads where they contact the sliding bars (top and bottom), cast as part of the stub axle
assembly (Not sure if stub axle is the right term but the cast part)
2001XJ, AW4, 4.0 I6 Non-ABS.

I can't give you an absolute answer as respects the 2001 but as far as I can tell, the same brackets apply to all years. I assume that the cast part you are referring to is the steering knuckle.

I just did the brakes all around on my '93 and ended up leaving the anti-rattle brackets off. I have had no discernible problems and am wondering how necessary they really are. I used Permatex "anti-squeal" dressing and have no noise whatsoever.

The PO put new pads on just before I bought the Jeep six years ago and left the brackets off. The pads squealed for months but I don't know if the missing brackets had anything to do with the noise. Based on what I know right now, I highly recommend the Permatex dressing.

I Would be interested in hearing from anyone with an opinion about the brackets (as you would except that you are in a hurry and I'm not).

On my '98 I didn't use them, as I didn't see any when I changed out the original pads. I've had no problems....

I have got some wear craters on the cast slider bars where the pads sit. I wasn't sure if the brackets would help the pads ride over the craters a little easier. Thanks for your help, I will play around with the brackets a bit more.

Back