• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension droop help: new leafs or bags

SirFishouse

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
I looked around for a topic like mine, but what I've ran into are threads involving high lifts or huge tires.

Let me tell you about my Cherokee. It is a '98 XJ 2WD with a stock suspension. She has treated me very well, now at over 230,000 miles. I have a header and magnaflow installed and she sounds great, but I really need to do something about my ride height. I bottom out more often that I'd like. My bump stops are pretty much demolished.

What I'm looking for:
I'd like to improve my ride height (possible lift)
I'd like to keep my current shocks

Bought my shocks last year with lifetime warranty... It set me back a decent amount, so I don't want to get a lift that would make me get new shocks. From what I've read, I can get a 2" lift max without needing to replace my shocks. I might need to make adjustments to my break lines though. I think it was 1.5" max with no adjustments needed at all.

So the options that I know of
Replace my worn out leafs and coils
Estimated $550-$600

Add a simple airbag upgrade system (front/rear no compressor)
Estimated $350

Up until recently I was pretty confident that I was going to get an airbag system. It has a lot of qualities that I really liked. I can adjust my ride height freely (towing purposes). I wouldn’t get the lift I want, but it would be much better than its current droop. The price didn’t seem too bad either…

I recently started to have doubts on airbag systems. I was told they make for a overly bumpy ride, and that if I take my Cherokee off road, I’ll be asking for my airbags to pop. I’m also not sure if my leafs are good candidates for airbags. They are currently bowed upwards slightly. So if I put in airbags, would I be giving them more work than they are made for?

There are a lot of pros about getting new leafs and coils. The downside is the cost…

Are airbags even worth considering in my issue, or should I just go big and get the new leafs and coils? Can someone give me some advice on my issue?

Many Thanks :)

personally id just do new leafs and such. itll be a lot simpler than installing an air bag system, and i doubt youll see as much gain from it as youd like considering the XJ is a pretty light duty vehicle.

on a side note, if you do go up a couple inches or so... there is also the cheap option of adding BPEs to help keep your shocks in the proper range of travel.

Airbags are just a bandaid for the real problem, old crappy leafs. Get some HD stock replacements and a spacer for the front, you'll gain just a little lift over stock and still be within range of the shocks. If you go higher and wanna keep the same shocks, just relocate the mounts then. My rear lift in my DD XJ is HD leafs with an extra main leaf and 3/4" lift shackles. I sit around 2.5-3" and have stock shocks with the lower mounts raised to flush with axle tube

Watch the "for sale" section of your local chapter. Most of my suspension has been put together with used parts. Which is OK with me as EVERY part on it is used...

Back