• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny fluid debate

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
ok so a lot of people say dex and some people go with swepco. So what is the best fluid to go with and what weight?

Weight??? A very brief look at Swepco site suggests their transmission fluid is for standard boxes but maybe I missed something.

I don't know anything about Swepco but I do see that they now have a motor oil with high levels of zinc/zddp.

The subject of fluids for the AW4 has, of course, been beat to death -- DexIII or compatible such as Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic.

So what is the best fluid to go with and what weight?

Whatever Dexron/Mercon-III that is on sale at WalMart. Frequent fluid changes are more important than the price of the fluid you buy.

My 2000 XJ loves Amsoil ATF.

wrong...DEXIII is not recommended for the PS
meh there are alot of things that are not recommended and work well in there. i use high mileage valvoline same stuff i run in my truck has treated me well and i will keep using it until one of them dies :p

It works fantastic. And by knowing that, it lets you cut down on the stuff you carry wheeling. One less potential loose item to have flying around in a rollover.

Dex III of course says right in my owners manual. My wife's 1999 4.0 is close to 200,000 miles and the trans shifts like the day we bought it over 12 years ago. She drives very well. I am embarrassed to say I only changed the trans fluid once a 75,000 at jiffy lube and once at 180,000 myself, but now I know how I am going to change it every 6 months. I will never sell my jeep. But I may retire it one day for a new grand Cherokee or Toyota FG Cruiser.

Every 6 months? Why? If I am wheeling a lot I change mine once a year. As long as it is Reddish in color and does not smell burnt I leave it alone.

I did the drain-n-fill routine last year with every oil change or when working on it just to get fresh fluid in there (after years of neglect). IMO, a good cooler and a temp gauge would be a better investment of time and money than changing the fluid every few thousand miles.

Back