• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear window power with front doors off??

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
I remember seeing something about this in a thread I was reading a while back but cant seem to find it. Im trying to figure out a way to make the rear power windows functional when the front doors are off so I can roll the windows up and down as my dog requests (shes rather high maintenance on road trips). Anyways, If anyone knows of that thread would you be so kind as to direct me to it? Im also open to any suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Jmeti000

I asked this same question for the same reason a few months ago.

The only thing the thread turned up was getting another window switch from a junk yard door and just plug that in place when the door is removed. You would have to mount the switch some where on the dash unless you just had it hanging there.

I was hoping that there was a wire to jump on the harness to be able to operate the rear windows but no one could help or went down that path.

Please do tell if you figure something out.

What year jeep do you have?

From what I was going to try to figure out is that there has to be a hot wire that goes back to the rear switches from the drivers switch and just finding that hot wire and jumping it should provide power to those rear windows. At least that is how it plans out in my head.

I have an 87. I was thinkin along the same lines. From looking at the wiring diagram, the violet wire coming from the fuse block supplies the power for the master switch in the drivers door. From there the power routes through to the various switches as they are pressed. However, the lockout switch also plays a part in the whole thing...I cant remember if its supplying power to, or cutting it off from that is what locks the back windows, and that wire is the violet and white at the switch. It seems totally possible to find out which wires you would need to get power to, run the wire, and then just add a connector to hook it up quickly once the front doors are off. I cant work on it till this weekend, but will post up and let you know if I figure it all out.

Cheers

Get a switch panel from a Liberty, it's in the center console, and mount it any where you like. Just leave the lock switch connected at the door.

JIM.

Back