• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally caged the mall crawler.

Ryno XJ

NAXJA Forum User
After about a year of the parts sitting in my dinning room, Me and my son finally installed the Rock Hard 4x4 bolt in roll cage.
2011-07-18111227.jpg

2011-07-18111236.jpg

2011-07-18111256.jpg

2011-07-18115249.jpg

2011-07-18115338.jpg

2011-07-18135307.jpg

It came out pretty good, a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

There is no triangulation. Is there more parts you need to bolt on?

While i can see why some wouldnt "trust" this cage, i happen to think that some cage is better than no cage.

Looks good sir and your kid is awesome for lending a hand.

While i can see why some wouldnt "trust" this cage, i happen to think that some cage is better than no cage.

Looks good sir and your kid is awesome for lending a hand.

i agree with boostamante 100%. by the looks of the jeep, it doesnt seem to be a jeepspeed racer, or gnarly crawler, so i doubt the thing is going to be doing any multiple rollovers. can the cage be built stronger? sure, but almost ANY cage is better than no cage at all.

2 weeks ago a JK with a bolt in cage rolled over on it's lid on Dishpan....

Mom, Dad and both kids walked away without a scratch.

The insurance totaled the Jeep.

Looks good Dean...

Last edited:
Nice work dean, and yes this cage is better than nothing.

XJOFFROAD, have you ever seen this cage up close? What about it do you not trust?

XJOFFROAD, have you ever seen this cage up close? What about it do you not trust?

Yes I have. Installed it into a customers rig and a week later we took it out and he wanted a real cage.

No triangulation. It will fold in a decent roll
Doesnt mount to the unibody. Mounting points will rip through the floor.

The cage has some promise but still is missing parts. Like I said, I wouldnt trust that cage with my life!

Yes I have. Installed it into a customers rig and a week later we took it out and he wanted a real cage.

No triangulation. It will fold in a decent roll
Doesnt mount to the unibody. Mounting points will rip through the floor.

The cage has some promise but still is missing parts. Like I said, I wouldnt trust that cage with my life!

I can see it maybe going through the floor but that would take some serious landing on its lid for that to happen. Any way to tie it in with some extra sheet metal? I get thats it's meant to be a bolt on kit but it be nice to add to it to make it stronger.

Then again, what do i know? I'm a lazy brown guy. :p

My friend in Arizona hates this cage as well. He doesnt like the flat plate along dash. I agree with most in that most any cage is better than nothing....just remember, you don't just roll on the trail, you roll at highway speeds sometimes as well.....be safe Dean!! Looks GOOD!!!

My friend in Arizona hates this cage as well. He doesnt like the flat plate along dash. I agree with most in that most any cage is better than nothing....just remember, you don't just roll on the trail, you roll at highway speeds sometimes as well.....be safe Dean!! Looks GOOD!!!

Not if it's a trailer queen CoughAveryCough :p

X2.

I know interior clearance gets tight with this kit, but your head will hit a few spots with a stock interior too.
It's not like you can't modify it to meet any concerns...but who would think to mod a Jeep anyway ? :wierd:

The flat plate along the dash is the least of my concerns with this cage. Other companies that do that offer a support underneath that goes to the framerails.

A cherokee in general stands up to a 'roll' well. Other than added safety, the main reason to cage a XJ is to stiffen up the chassis and prolong the life of a rig. This cage offers minimal safety improvemet and zero chassis support.

I feel this cage offers a significant improvement in safety and I would install one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I would add on some stuff but then I would do that with any part I install on my own junk, Ha ha. Nice job Dean and Zack! :thumbup:

I feel this cage offers a significant improvement in safety and I would install one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I would add on some stuff but then I would do that with any part I install on my own junk, Ha ha. Nice job Dean and Zack! :thumbup:

Funny. I wouldn't install it if it were free.

2 weeks ago a JK with a bolt in cage rolled over on it's lid on Dishpan....

Mom, Dad and both kids walked away without a scratch.

Unpossible! Factory CJ/YJ/TJ/JK's have a 'show-bar' bolted to the windshield frame, bolted to the sheet metal floor with zero triangulation and zero frame tie-in's. At least nobody ever wheels those things.

:gee:

I agree with Cracker on this. I do have a question though.

-Why half ass something thats "suppose to" save your life when you need it?

Makes so sense and not something I want to chance with a shitty cage

Back