• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ is about to hit 110k, what needs to be done?

AG74683

NAXJA Forum User
What, besides the scheduled maintenance stuff, should be done at 110k?

Im going to do the standard fluid refill (diff, transmission, oil change, power steering fluid change, etc.) but what else should I be replacing?

Im thinking about doing Thermostat, housing, and temperature sending unit, as well as Oil Pressure sending unit (mine is toast anyways, stupid Check Gauges light on). Also thinking about maybe doing water pump? Ive had the O2 sensors checked within the last month, but Im wondering if it might be worth it just to replace them?

CPS was just replaced, and I will be fully removing and cleaning the throttle body and TPS soon. Will be replacing upper and lower radiator hoses along with a full coolant flush too.

So what else could stand to be replaced at this mileage?

All the other hoses.

Sounds like you have it well in hand. Give the thing a good once over looking at steering components, shocks, bushings, TRE's. Also change the belt if you haven't lately (and keep the old belt as a spare) Other than that...if it ain't broke...!!

As long as your doing it correctly there should be no problem and I dont see how it would be bad for it. The machine just hooks in line and puts new fluid in and takes in the old fluid, it runs off the trans pump. Well at least the one at my school does. If you drop the pan you only get about 4 qts the system holds 8.5qts.

Last edited:
theirs a factory TSB on all data to swap the trans oil from ATF to ATF+4

I'm not so sure that's a wise choice, regardless of what AllData says. ATF+ has completely different properties than Dexron does, correct?

Stick with Dexron for the transmission fluid and the transfer case (don't forget the transfer case!). Whatever the latest version out now is (Dex 5 or 6 I think?). The new versions replace the older ones, as I think our books, when printed, called for Dex 3 or 4.

As for RockAuto, I would recommend them in a heart beat. I ordered a spare CPS and Coil for a recent trip to Kentucky for the NAXJA Crawl. Depending on what warehouse it ships from, you'll have it in 1-2 days with rgular shipping. Search around in the Southeast Forum, I just posted a discount code a couple of weeks ago that's valid until September I think. Fortuantely I didn't need to use the parts, but I can tell just by holding them in my hand they're of much better quality than the stuff at the local parts house (and this is coming from a guy who worked at one of the local parts houses for a little over 2 years).

I see you're in Boone too! I was just up that way this weekend, and i'm up there often.

Edit: I wouldn't flush it either, but that's just me. Granted the AW4 is a very stout transmission and could probably take it, but I dont think i'd take the chance of any crud breaking lose and getting stuck somewhere. If you wanted to get all the fluid changed, a good (but somewhat time consuming) method would be to do multiple drain and refills. You should get something like 2.5 quarts out just by removing the drain plug. I would do that a few times, then on the last one drop the pan and replace the filter.

Back