• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to jeeps..Is this a good purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamaran

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at a 1988 Jeep cherokee. It has a 5 speed, which I believe is the peugeot. Its got 198k, which isn't a big worry. Its been converted to the "open" cooling system. And the paint is decent, a little oxidized but not fading or chipping. Was parked in a garage for the last 6 years. The material on the rockers was/is being removed & thats why it looks messed up. The interiors actually really nice for its age, few stains but no rips or tears. Headliners been taken off as it was sagging. Its got a decent head unit but stock speakers. Its also got 30x9.5 BFG AT's which look almost brand spanking new. Also has a decent exhaust!
The guy selling it is looking for $1900 because of recent repairs & upgrades. The cooling system & brakes & such. I got him down to around $1500 right now & he may go lower depending on registration. It was last registered in New Mexico? & hasn't been registered since Dec 31. 2010 so we have to find out what the fees will be.

Heres the add to the vehicle.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2494607415.html

Anyone think its a decent buy for a first car for a 19 year old, any tips on getting him lower on the price? Anything I should check/double check? Advice & pointers? Main or common problems with the renix's?

Looks decent, but fees could be a lot. Also kinda old for $1500, plus you dont know what is going to happen when you smog it. $1500 ready to go would even be high for me.

In CA, it is the seller's responsibility to provide a valid smog cert for any car more than 4 years old.

Ya I pulled KBB and it states $986 as fair market value. Good was quoted at $1203 and excellent at $1899. Its just getting hard to find a decent XJ thats not hacked to hell and thats not being sold for a insane amount. Plus its a 5 speed:) Biggest plus he has going for him is that its a 5 speed & that the paints really clean for its age. No fading at all & its original paint.
Most Xj's I come across are 2k+ and don't look as nice as this...but again those are the 91-96 HO's. Most I find are dented or chopped & cutup, or parts vehicles, or someone wants 2k+ for it. I find that absurd when they blue book for bearly 2k in excellent condition. I'll most likely grab this thing is registration fees aren't too much.

Then I'm gonna try & get a new motor for it, as well as a AX-15. Probably grab roberttk's(sp?) renix long block he has for $900. Or possibly look at getting a spare 4.0 block and rebuilding one myself. Main goal for me is OEM short block with a ported head & intake/exhaust. Looking for efficeincy mainly, not going for big power. Ax-15 to get rid of the peugeot & then 3" & 31's..Hopefully I'll get it all done with my 4k budget...that would include the car in that budget lol.

Last edited:
In CA, it is the seller's responsibility to provide a valid smog cert for any car more than 4 years old.

So he would HAVE to smog this even if he's only owned it 1 year? I'm not sure I understand that law, although I've heard it quite a few times now.

Is a Smog Inspection Required?

When you transfer ownership of a vehicle that is four or less model years old, a smog certification is not required; however, a smog transfer fee is collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, the seller is required to obtain smog certification when transferring ownership of a vehicle UNLESS certification was obtained within the last 90 days or the vehicle is:

Hybrid
1975 year model or older
Diesel powered
Electric
Natural gas powered and has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,001 lbs. or more
Motorcycle
Trailer
Vessel
Being transferred between family members (spouse, domestic partner, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, or grandchild) or by court order. A Statement of Facts form (REG 256)(PDF) must be completed for the exemption; however, if registration renewal fees are due, the smog exemption may not apply.
Most smog certifications are submitted electronically to DMV. Keep your receipt because it contains an inspection number that may be used to locate your smog certification record at DMV.

More information regarding smog requirements.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr32.htm

Matt

Ok bare with me as I'm young and doing this on my own.

Smog is required! The vehicles a 1988, so he doesn't fall in the "No Smog" catagories. And I think I'm reading this right...but because the vehicles older than 4 models year's he's required to smog it, and give me the valid certificate/paper before he sells it to me?
Also he stated that nothings been done with the vehicle since Dec 2010. So thats far past 90 days.

So he would HAVE to smog this even if he's only owned it 1 year? I'm not sure I understand that law, although I've heard it quite a few times now.

I'm no lawyer, but according to the CA DMV website:

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?

The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.
The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Ok bare with me as I'm young and doing this on my own.

Smog is required! The vehicles a 1988, so he doesn't fall in the "No Smog" catagories. And I think I'm reading this right...but because the vehicles older than 4 models year's he's required to smog it, and give me the valid certificate/paper before he sells it to me?
Also he stated that nothings been done with the vehicle since Dec 2010. So thats far past 90 days.

That's the way I read it.

Alright thanks guys, I'll make sure to get as much info, and paper work from DMV. Hopefully I'll have a jeep by noon!
Wish me luck.

Honestly this smog and back registration stuff can be a huge pain. I suggest you look for a jeep without these issues. Many people have bought vehicles with these issues and ended up spending far more than the vehicle is worth trying to sort it all out. There are too many good cherokees out there to get hung up on one with issues.

I wouldn't go for this one. You can find a better one for cheaper that doesn't have out of state registration to deal with. I'm going through registering my out of state MJ and honestly if you do get that XJ go with a registration company. It will save you hours at the DMV but you do pay for it.

kam if you have aaa you can call them with the vin, and they will tell you EXACTLY how much it will cost to reg this vehcile, and if you dont pm me. I will call aaa for you (have premium membership).

I'd probably pass. From reading the ad he MAY have discovered that it won't pass smog and now just wants to be done with it.

If it was registered in CA. (OR he tried to smog it) the history will show up here;
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pubwebquery/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx
It shows that my '89 FAILED twice in '09, before I replaced the cat., and passed first try this year.

If you are thinking you might buy this one and then add a $900- engine, add up the numbers . . .

I lucked out on our '89. The P.O. just wanted to dump it after spending over $4000- in the 3 years before I bought it because there were still problems (bad front wheel bearing) and he was moving to NY to be with his granddaughter. He felt bad about taking my $700-.

Good luck,
Mike

pass i got my 90 for $750 with a little lift on 33". i would be scared of trying to pass a smog with a out of state rig. mine was a instate and it is a gross polluter. i would just back off of it and you will find one better cheaper

im gona jump on the pass band wagon. I would reccomend getting with someone who knows jeeps close to where you live and have someone (from here) go with you to check it out with you. I got mine running for 600 4x4 on 31s

This is Casual as a AE

Thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back