• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15% Ethanol Gas ? Now What ?

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
So now the EPA was approved 15% Ethanol in the Gas ? Now What do I have to do so my 98 & 01 will run after I can no longer find E10 or less.

Nothing. Vehicles are capable to run up to 15% ethanol blended into the fuel.

So pump and drive like usual.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

If/when E15 actually is seen at the pump, it would only be for vehicles built after a certain date. (I've heard anything from 2001-2007)

None of this is etched in stone yet and implementation is most likely years away.

In my opinion, more study is needed to determine the effects of 15% ethanol on the engines. Some studies done, but at this point, certainly not comprehensive studies which should be required.

Last edited:
If a vehicle can run on E10, then E15 should not be a bother. The biggest issue is the fuel lines being able to tolerate the Ethanol in the first place. Injector sizing will not be a problem until the Ethanol concentration gets much higher.

I agree that studies should be done. Who is going to pay for them?

What I see as a long term solution is to get rid of gasoline. It is said, rightly I think, that our trade deficit would vanish if we were not importing oil. With the improvements in the acquisition of natural gas, we can start to reduce the usage. Running LNG in an internal combustion engine or as a fuel in a fuel cell might be a solution provided the fuel delivery system can be built to avoid leaking in an impact. Gasoline burns in a relatively slowly and relatively cool manner. A natural gas fire would run a tad bit hotter me thinks...

Im sure if it was implemented it would stat on the pump that it is for certain years and newer... just like the "new" diesel. but you wont find the old stuff so youll have ot run it anyways.

Has nothing to do with oil. we have plenty here. We need to start using it.

If you're talking easily extracted oil at a reasonable price, you would need to count Canada as domestic to have any reasonable reserves.

As soon as you are trying to squeeze it out of the expensive to tap sources (deep water, etc.) it starts to look pretty thin.

The day the energy yield per dollar of production is higher for oil than for for wind/solar/natural gas/other, market forces will make the switch for us.

For now, if oil is going to continue to rise in value, why not use the cheaper Mid-east or Venezuela reserves until they are tapped out and then sell ours at the inflated future prices?

For now, if oil is going to continue to rise in value, why not use the cheaper Mid-east or Venezuela reserves until they are tapped out and then sell ours at the inflated future prices?

I do not know about Canada but if things continue the way it is right now, the US will cease to exsist long before the oil in Venezuela and the middle east run out,...but that is another topic all together.

I hate Ethanol, all Ethanol as fuel for my XJ. The XJ loses 30% of its power and thus 30% of its mileage.

Back