• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which replacement block for 4.7 Stroker?

caztaz

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled apart my 98 XJ 4.0 engine only to find out the the number 6 cylinder has a crack. I am building a 4.7 stroker but now need a new block. I know I want a block with the "NVH" stamp. Can I use any 4.0 block whether from a GC, Wrangler or Cherokee? I believe the years with the NVH are 96-2000. Any preferences to either year? At a stand still until I figure this out and pick one up. Thanks.

The mount points for things like motor mounts are not the same on every block.

You probably want to stick to a casting number 53020569 but I believe could also get by with 53008405.

If your doing machine work on the block it's probably cheaper to go ahead and have that cylinder sleeved. Shouldn't add more than $100 to the machine shop bill. When it's done that cylinder will be stronger than all the others.

Don't put much stock in that girdle it's stamped steel. When I built my stroker I had to replace mine, it was like $15 at the dealer.

The mount points for things like motor mounts are not the same on every block.

You probably want to stick to a casting number 53020569 but I believe could also get by with 53008405.

Which ones are different??

I've got the block from a '90 XJ running as a stroker in a '98 TJ and A stroker that was in the same '90 xj in my 2001 XJ. Motor mount points on the block were the same.

Which ones are different??

I've got the block from a '90 XJ running as a stroker in a '98 TJ and A stroker that was in the same '90 xj in my 2001 XJ. Motor mount points on the block were the same.

That 98 TJ block did not have the boss/hole for the knock sensor on your 90 XJ, nor the hole for the temp sensor that feeds the PCM which is located under the header to the rear of the knock sensor.

The 90 XJ block may work in a 2001, but in a 91-99 XJ would not have had the mounts for the coil.

Others have actual motor mount mismatches, I have encountered it a few times but never bothered to track down where the blocks came from (i dont break my phone out and start looking up casting numbers when I am dirty)

The coil mount bosses are on the head, not the block. it's the '00/01 head that is different. Even though they don't have the distributor, the '00/01 motors still have the dist. drive for the oil pump and cam position sensor(which is basically the bottom half of the distributor)

First, thanks for the replies and help. I thought about a sleeve but read that this can cause the other cylinders to become out of round with the rigidity of the sleeve which is why I was looking for a block. Without knowing enough about the sleeve it becomes a reliability issue for me. The cost to sleeve one cylinder is minor compared to buying another block. If still available, I can get a 2000 block for $200 or a 97 engine/trans for $350 but both are a couple hours away which adds to the cost. I know they are different casting numbers but I will assume either would be fine.

I've also heard that some people like to use a renix block for the bigger strokers due to the thicker walls of the cylinders.

People sleeve engine blocks all the time, I have a 360 getting one cylinder sleeved in the shop right now(intake valve head broke off, big mess, cracked cylinder).

If your going to have the other cylinders bored then the out of round won't be an issue anyways. I would sleeve it, much less hassle, and its a proven fix.

Back