• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front D44 from SJ - repositioning diff housing

HavvkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I got hold of SJ'82 D44 (front and rear), however front one is with the diff housing on the passenger side...

The question is - has enyone tried to reposition diff housing to the driver side so it would fit XJ (XJ'90 in my case) and if so what are pros and cons of this mod.
This could be usefull: welding D44 housing

thanks for any info you can share ;)

easy and cheapest way:

sell it to a cj guy for $100

buy a drivers drop 44 for $100

install.

and 82 fsj's should be drivers drop regardless.

you never said you were on the other side on the pond.

in that case, find a driver drop toyota front axle! should be pretty easy, and much stronger than a D30.

Try finding a mid 70s ford f100/f150 front Dana 44. Cut it down to FSJ width (there's a few threads on how to do it on here). The FSJ axle shaft measurements are on even if you can't find waggy shafts. Then when you have it cut and all welded and read to go into your jeep, buy some alloy shafts and call it good. By doing all of this you'll be saving money on trying to retube the axle and you will have a high pinion axle in the end(not trying to knock the LP axle). Good luck with which ever you do!

Last edited:
It is not that easy to find a drivers drop 44 or D300 on this side of the Atlantic ;)
This is exactly why you should put your real location on your account instead of a wise crack.

My rear D44 does have alloy shafts and Detroit Locker, so looks like I'd better keep looking for front D44 with drivers drop, HP preferable, or D300, whichever comes first :)

Would any front D44 (HP) have the same width as rear D44 (from XJ)

thanks for the tips.

My rear D44 does have alloy shafts and Detroit Locker, so looks like I'd better keep looking for front D44 with drivers drop, HP preferable, or D300, whichever comes first :)

Would any front D44 (HP) have the same width as rear D44 (from XJ)

thanks for the tips.

There's no stock HP Dana 44 xj width that was ever made. Your best bet is to do what I posted up top or call dynatrac and prepare to spend a nice lump some of cash for a Dana 44..

There's no stock HP Dana 44 xj width that was ever made. Your best bet is to do what I posted up top or call dynatrac and prepare to spend a nice lump some of cash for a Dana 44..

That is incorrect. Actually there were quite a few export XJ's that were sent especially to South America and Mexico that had the D44 in the front.

I stand corrected, best of luck finding a south american export on the east coast. I wonder how difficult they are to find say in Tiajuana?(no smartass intentions)

Last edited:
Ok, mabye I'm dumb ( ok, maybe not maybe) but why can't you just cut a piece out of both tubes and swap the longer piece to the passenger side. Internally sleeve them, weld them up and truss it while you're at it. Then just swap the axle shafts side to side and viola, driver side drop.

jeeperjohn - this is exactly what I am trying to find out if anyone has done it or seen it done.
All fab work can be done here, just need to verify if it is going to work later on on the trail.

Ok, mabye I'm dumb ( ok, maybe not maybe) but why can't you just cut a piece out of both tubes and swap the longer piece to the passenger side. Internally sleeve them, weld them up and truss it while you're at it. Then just swap the axle shafts side to side and viola, driver side drop.

Probably would work--if your very good at accurately setting up the cut tubes, using proper OD tubing to internally sleeve the cut areas, and laying a good bead, while not warping the tubes.
Another approach ($$) is to have the center section re-tubed by someone like Currie Enterprises. They would press out the old tubes, and press in new ones, cut to any length you specify.

Back