• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ front end clunk - HELP PLEASE

mwag72

NAXJA Forum User
Completely stumped. I recently started having a clunk in the front end of my 98 XJ. Typically happens only after it has been parked for a few hours and is most noticable at idle speed. More rapid than the revolution of the wheel and can feel it in the floor. Tends to start when turn the wheel, but continues even when wheel is straight. Any pressure on the brakes makes the clunk stop and it will generally go away completely after driving for a couple of blocks. Any thoughts???

Jack up front end, hands on top and bottom of tires, tug back and forth., if there is any play your ball joints are done for. If thats alright, pull wheels and check all bolts in the front end.

So here is what I found... I drove it this morning just long enough to get the clunking noise and stopped it right there and jacked it up. Checked everything underneath it all seemed tight, so I started spinning the left front tire until I heard the noise. Had a neighbor spin the wheel while I got underneath to locate the sound and it appears that the disc brake caliper it jumping and rattling between the top and bottom metal pieces that it rides between. So, I know what is making the noise... now I just need to determine why the caliper is jumping and why it goes away after driving it for a couple of blocks.

the things that bolt the caliper to the knuckle, theres 2, and the caliper slides in-n-out on them when the brake pedal is applied.... your caliper moving around, means one of those slider bolts is either broken, or wallowed out a hole in the caliper.... whatever it is, it needs to be fixed! first things first, take it apart!

Back