• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Brake Job, thoughts on Hawk / PowerSlot combo?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I am in need to do a brake job on my Jeep. I can currently lock up the front tires with my current brakes but the pads have maybe 1/8" on the out side pad (inside still have almost 1/2" is this normal??, would removal of the “dust shield” cause this?) I have 33" tires on Alum rims and as a result (a guess from extra rotational weight) my rotors are like the waves of the sea. They have some funky "groves" on the surface. No vibration, some light squealing when 5mph or under and stopping.

I have used Hawk Pads and Powerslot rotors on a compact car which is driven fairly aggressively. After 4 years of heavy DD and fun on the weekends you can’t even see any rotor ware (no lip along the outer edge of the rotor) and the pads still look new (1/2” + of pad). I did the brakes on my Jeep 3 years ago, and the rotors are beyond even getting turned and the pads are almost down to having the teeth/barbs show through the pad material.

The conditions that my compact car saw and what the Jeep sees is very different (although the XJ is now also my DD). The car has small tires (235/50R16 IIRC), and weights less than the jeep I have heard mixed opinions on Ceramic pads and am thinking of going with the Hawk LTS brake pads for light truck and SUV. And paring them with some powerslot rotors (they now look like they have Cryogenically treated rotors...) The LTE pads are a Ferro-Carbon (guessing fancy words for Semi-Metallic), or should I look for the Performance Ceramic for Truck the PC which have a Ceramic Composite?

Any thoughts on this Combo? Thanks for your input!

It is also time that I bleed the whole brake system (brake fluid is usually good for 3-5 years right?? I think I might still have OEM) so was going to go with an Amsoil DOT 3 or 4 or another like high quality Synthetic Brake fluid. Any thoughts on fluid choice?

Its not so much the brand of fluid, but the frequency of flushing it out. That being said, I would stay away from the bargain basement stuff ( pouring something into my brake system from a bottle labeled "gunk" just doesn't sit well with me).

Amsway guy in 3... 2... 1...

centric premium rotors and black magic pads.

dont do synthetic fluid, you'll need to completely flush the system out... just bleed it clean with new generic DOT3. there is no way you're heating up the brake fluid enough to warrant anything more than that.

I use hawk LTS and powerslot rotors and have no problems with them at all with my stock size tires and no added weight. I used to run the hawk HPS or whatever they are and burned though them pretty quick but had even wear and great stopping. With the LTS I feel I have the same stopping power and they seem to be lasting longer. I don't expect pads to last 4 years at all though.

If your pads are wearing that uneven you need to check your calipers as they would cause the uneven wear.

I actually just replaced some brake pads on my sisters xterra and it had severely uneven pad wear. The outside pad was actually wearing into the backing plate while the inside pad looked brand new. I checked and the caliper guide pins were all seized up so you may want to check or just replace the calipers.

ehhh I would go with some Rabestos Pro grade Ceramic. $33 at RockAuto

And I say stick with smooth rotors on a jeep, no risk of rocks getting jammed in. Maybe slotted, but definitely not drilled.

Raybestos Pro Grade full cast rotors are $24 at RockAuto.

Raybestos also has an 'Advance Technology' version of both of those parts for a couple bucks more. Ive always been satisfied by their pro grade line though. Great performance and quality for the price.

I have powerslot rotors and Brembo pads (just like the Hawk LTS, but slightly cheaper) on the front and I could easily tell the difference from my Autozone pads and rotors. I've locked up my 35's on the highway in a panic stop.

I have powerslots with hawk pads and they've been great, not a squeal or squeek from them an they've been on for 3 years now

Back