• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 shortblock to 00+ 4.0L?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
I have been sitting on a 66K mile 4.0 for years, i may have just found a use for it.

Any issues with using the 96 shortblock with an 0331 coilpack head?

I would be swapping the shortblock to a Grand i am considering.

Yeah there's a lot of variables there. Are you meaning to say '00 WJ as the target? The powertech WJ and TJ engines have a different block casting to accommodate the new-style belt routing and accessory layout (see http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245368388&postcount=29 for some of the differences).

You might be able to use the ZJ layout, but you'd have to change some AC hoses and maybe some electrical stuff, since the WJ engine harnesses would be expecting native accessory layout

I'v been searching alot on this.. yet to find a write up/thread to confirm or deny absolutely. I even found a guy who claimed to have done it.

I guess the only way i'll know for sure is to lay them side by side and verify either way myself.

Made an offer on the Jeep, i should know tonight if i'll be picking it up this weekend.

From your first link.. if anyone would know it would be BrownDog. Just PM'd them to see if the opposite is available.. XJ to WJ.. that would solve my issue.

Thanks Hubs..

FYI - The bolt pattern in the 4.0L I-6 used in XJ is not the same pattern as the 4.0L in the WJ. That said, we do have and engine mount bracket that will bolt on to the WJ 4.0L engine and fit up to the XJ 'uni-frame.' (PN S2883-0 or SU2883-0) This bracket cannot be used on a WJ frame due to differing frame widths.

However there are numerous other considerations like trannie, manifold, accessory locations, wiring, etc. There are other NAXJA members who can address these issue better than I.

Here's a bit of background.
- Block thread boss locations are the same in all XJ, 87-95 YJ, 97-99 TJ.
- Jeep used a clean sheet design for a new 4.0L block starting with the WJ 1999-2004. This block was also used in the 2000-2006 TJ/LJ.

Last edited:
Here's a pic I saved from somewhere. The XJ doesn't have the mounts on the driver side for the AC compressor, and the WJ water pump uses an extra bolt hole.

TJFront.jpg

If you don't want AC you could do it, but then why get a WJ. Or like I said above you could do a ZJ accessory layout

Back