• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost key?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a rust free Jeep. I found a 97 with clean title. Anyways the guy has the title just that the keys were lost in his recent house fire. Is it possible the dealers could still do a key off of the vin number? He wants 1800 for it. I'm thinking more like 900 due to no key because I can't hear it run and it has no power options. What are your thoughts? Locksmith average cost for something like this?

When I snagged the 98 a year ago, all I had were copied keys. Went to the local Jeep Dealer and they cut one from the VIN for, I think, $10.00 each. I had two made.

Should not be a problem. BTW, I never have a copy made, I always go to the Dealer and have an original cut.

I wouldnt buy before driving it. Tell him to take the VIN and proof of ownership to the dealer and have them cut a key, its not chipped so it will be cheap.

X2 but.....this will only work if the ignition has never been changed

X2 but.....this will only work if the ignition has never been changed
And how many ignition cylinders do YOU know of that have been changed? The dealer is probably a pretty good bet, but I'd have the seller get the new keys.

Dealer cut keys work from the original key coding. Keys that are run on a duplicating machine will also duplicate the wear patterns, nicks, gouges, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I let the seller know that with out a key I'd only offer him $900 if the body was mint. Otherwise if he had a key we'd know the condition of the rest of the Jeep and we could deal a bit more towards his asking price. The kid seemed pretty grateful. Hopefully I did not screw myself.:wierd:

And how many ignition cylinders do YOU know of that have been changed? The dealer is probably a pretty good bet, but I'd have the seller get the new keys.

Since you asked so politly!! lol I personally have changed ALOT of them, atleast over 20 in my backyard mechanical endeavors. Not all on Cherokees mind you but still got changed out.

Ok back to purpose of the thread.

OK, for all the "Why use the Dealer" questions. A key cut on the machine from the VIN will be perfect. A copied key is not nearly as good. A copy of a copy of a copy most likely won't work at all. In all cases a copy is not identical to an original as it is cut from a used key which is worn. Using a worn (or poor copy) key will cause the segments in the tumbler to wear prematurely.

With all due respect to those that do not accept the premise that a fresh key is better than a copy, I disagree with your position. If you want to save a couple of bucks, go ahead, but do not slam me for going for the best possible solution.

If the tumbler has been changed then the OP will need a locksmith or a fresh tumblers with keys. Tumblers, plural, as the tailgate and doors won't match the ignition. I have faulty tumblers repaired with fresh segments. A locksmith can repair the tumbler back to VIN.

Really, so much negativity when the OP is just asking for advice. If my advice is not thought to have value, do not follow it. Be assured, I only follow advice I deem relevant.

No negativity, I was just asking. You were so forceful in stating that you would never use a copy I thought there may have been more to it than the obvious copy of a copy of a copy of a worn down original may possibly not work.

I like to have lots of extra keys (I am extremely forgetful and can't find anything 2 seconds after I put it down - keys being #1) so I always take the original and have 5 or 6 made to always have some spares handy. I have never had an issue with hardware store keys, but I am sure some people have.

Back