• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery clunking, tumbling noise

somewherein72

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1987 Wagoneer Limited (Cherokee XJ with a trim pack) 4.0 6 cylinder. I bought it used about 3 years ago, and I've been repairing it a bit at a time. Lately, there's a noise that I'm having some trouble identifying. It's as if there's a sort of tumbling noise coming from under the center of the driving compartment. I'm sort of a self-taught tinkerer, so I'm not really sure what to call it exactly.

I know that something isn't quite right under there. When I pull up and stop at a light, then start moving again, I can tell that there's a slight movement between some parts somewhere as if the motion of the car is pushing/pulling these parts slightly apart.

It's sort of a mild tumbling noise, like you've got a shoe in a dryer full of towels. I seldom notice it when I'm in motion, usually noticing it mostly when slowing down to stop and taking off.

Any ideas on what that might be?

A mechanic buddy of mine found a spark plug rolling around under the battery tray in one once. Funny thing is, the customer had complained about it from day one when it was new. Dealership couldn't find the mysterious noise.

My best guess is the transmission/transfer case mount. As it sags with age, the exhaust will hit the crossmember. It's pretty common, because there's very little clearance. If you're not willing to spring for a new mount, you can gain a little height by shimming it up, taking care not to overdo and lose bolt engagement.

Back