• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump/thump noise from the rear.

resq229

NAXJA Forum User
98 Cherokee classic

Ok still i have this problem, when i stop my jeep at a SS or redlight and then start rolling forward again with light pressure on the gas pedal,, the jeep will roll about 6 feet sometimes and then a big thump from the rear,, i swear its almost like someone has ran into the back of me when it does it and the noise would be a intense thump like a bowling ball slamming against a truck tailgate.

98 Cherokee classic, 4.0, Auto, 4x4, 8.25 rear axle, red, gray interior, lol.

Someone has to have had this problem before? anyone with ideas? Thanks

Those are the common symptoms of a rear drive shaft slip yoke that needs to be greased.

Or bad u-joints.

Or a set of springs that have turned into pretzels. Prior to putting in the lift, my 98 did a similar thing. Stop the rig and maybe a second or less later, a thump from the rear. Turns out the springs were wrapping while driving and when they unloaded, the rear end popped... It was a tricky find. We found it by having my Kid stop the Jeep where I could see the axle. I could see/hear it unload quite plainly.

Take a hard look at them. You could actually see that mine were "S" shaped.

Then again, they were one of the reasons I got it for so cheap...

I had this exact same experience happen when my rear bushings were sticky on the new leafs. Come to a stop, let off the brake a little and THUMP. I shot some white lithium grease in a spray can all over them and it hasn't been an issue since.

... But statistically speaking, I think you have a driveshaft problem.

I would put my money on leafs being shot.
I had the same symptom when I added HD relocation brackets to stock springs. The leafs flattened out and started to S shape on me. After I put a 3 in AAL in the thump went away.

I have new OME leafs waiting for bushings to replace my old leafs.

It's your slip yoke. It has dried out and is sticking instead of slipping like it's supposed to. I just had to grease mine on my '98. Very easy to do.

Take the 4 bolts off the the brackets holding the rear driveshaft u-joint to the rear end. Cut or loosen the clamp on the boot where the slip yoke goes into the transfer case. Slide the driveshaft out (since it is probably dry it may be hard to remove. I had to use a pry bar). Clean the splines, regrease the snot out of it and reinstall. Done.

No more bowling ball in trunk, and essentially free to fix.

Good luck!

Greg

I just remembered this thread so sorry for the late reply, but the slip yoke was the problem, it was dry and had alot of rust powder build up,, I cleaned it all up and regreased it and for the last couple weeks ive not had the noise even once. thanks for the help pinpointing this noise.

Thanks to this thread :) i took off my drive shaft after this and having the same symptoms and wooola no more axle wrap sound :D

Back