• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper fix?

amorth

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Sport 6 cyl - about a month ago I replaced my rear wiper blade and it immediately starting skipping over the top portion of the glass (it wipes the bottom just fine). The old blade was in full contact with the glass, it was just time for a new one. Thinking it may have been a bad wiper arm, I replaced it with a new one I bought from Team Cherokee (http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=55154919&catid=95 - the top one for $10.95) and it is still missing the top portion of the glass.
Is there someplace on this arm that I can bend/tighten/loosen so I can clear my rear window?

Thanks!

This is not an uncommon problem for rear wipers of all sorts, XJ included. There's a big tradeoff here between getting good contact and scratching up the glass, and I think recent designs have erred in favor of the glass. You might try just bending the arm down a bit. That should increase the pressure a little and might also shorten it a tiny bit so that it clears the edge of the glass better. Make sure also that the pivot in the arm is free. They get stiff with age, and a new one might be stiffly assembled. Lube it a little, lift and drop it 40 or 50 times in a row, and it should be nice and limber. Otherwise, you are pretty much stuck with what you have unless you can increase spring tension.

Back