• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fog light switch bulb size/type?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching but can't seem to find it.

I am looking for the tiny bulb that goes into the fog light switch and I can't find it anywhere. Has anyone replaced it, what type/size does it take? Is it something napa has or more of a radio shack kind of thing?

97 country 4.0 factory fogs.

My fogs work fine, just I lost the light bulb the last time I had the switch out years ago and would like to finally cross it off my to-do list ha.

No part number for it in the XJ parts catalog. Wonder if the bulb is still good in my non functional fog light switch?...

I do not think that bulb is replaceable (I coul dbe wrong.) Most illuminated switches I've seen aren't serviceable - although they've been going to LED later, which reduces the need to service them anyhow.

You may just need to replace the switch outright.

Note from DJ
As previous posted switch light is almost guaranteed to be a LED bulb which is not replicable.

You stated that your fog lights still work which indicates that you have 12V to and leaving the switch. Which indicates that switch is doing its job.

Now for the missing link whish is the bulb lighting up;
  • Bulb is no good which means replace switch as the bulb is not replicable.
  • Now this type of switch will have a minimum of three wires to it power in & out for the fog lights and a ground wire connection just so one side of the bulb is always grounded when it receives power when the fog lights are turned on.
I would check for a bad ground wire connection at the back of the switch since you stated (“My fogs work fine, just [I lost the light bulb the last time I had the switch out] years ago and would like to finally cross it off my to-do list ha.”).

You might hit a junkyard or see if someone will sell you a switch cheaply, and raid it for the bulb, or pop one of your other switches apart and see if the bulb works in the fog switch as well. That would at least let you compare directly to what's available. I tore my old wiper switch apart, and IIRC it was similar to the "neo wedge" bulbs, but I believe it was smaller than what I see listed.

http://superlumination.com/74.htm

Since you can buy an OE switch from 4 or 5 different manufacturers, I'd venture a guess that these bulbs are still in production, but may be very difficult to buy directly.

Maybe one of these?
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/instrument.html

Last edited:
No part number for it in the XJ parts catalog. Wonder if the bulb is still good in my non functional fog light switch?...

Is that an offer to part with it ;) I could pay shipping of course...

I really wish I had kept better track of that little bulb, I didn't think much of it at the time.

The switch bulb is a typical Grain of Wheat type bulb. Radio Shack might have them.

I would just stop by the junkyard and put a few in my pocket.

I know i've replaced those bulbs on my '89 XJ before. Just as previous post said..."grain of wheat" bulb with two wires. Is a push in type of fitting. Pull on from one of the other switches, then take it to NAPA or ??? and find one that is the same. Shouldn't have to replace the whole switch!

If they're grain of wheat bulbs, you may want to check the HTU you've been getting parts from for your Maxx, they may have some of those with the model railroad stuff if they carry those.

I should add that if they do, look at Minitronics and Model Power for the bulbs in anywhere from 12-16 volts, not sure if you'd need white or green though, I'm going to assume either one.

Last edited:
Back