• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 MJ 2WD Spindle Stripped

High2by

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It's my daughters MJ and she loves it so I need to fix it right. It's an '88 Pioneer 2WD and the driver's side spindle is stripped. I mean all the threads are stripped. I took it apart and it had been rigged to stay together but it had developed a "roar", as she put it, so I drove it and wow. Yes, I did explain to her about letting me know if anything different or odd came up about the truck, to tell me!!! Anyway, I took it apart and the outer bearing cage is bent to crap and the inner race looks like a dog bone after a few days of the dog chewing on it. Needless to say the grease that was in it was "silver" in color.

Couple of questions, on this MJ, the front spindle appears to be pressed into the knuckle, is that correct and can they be bought as replacements?

Also, would any 2wd knuckle from an MJ or XJ work as a replacement or is the knuckle/spindle combo the only thing that will work?

I haven't taken the knuckle off yet I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Every Jeep I have ever messed with has had the unit bearings so this is a different animal and I'm not sure what to do.

I know I rambled but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

One of my TJ buddies pulled a HP30 out of an 89 XJ without the vac disco, and swapped his knuckles, hub, brakes, etc over to it with no problem. the lower ball joints are different, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. I actually plan on doing the same to mine for the simplicity of the design and the newer one piece cast rotor, if I don't decide to do WJ brakes instead. Knuckles, hubs, caliper/pads, and rotors will work from any newer 2WD or 4WD XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, etc, you just need to try and find the stub shaft from a newer 2WD to keep the unit bearing together.

It's not pressed into the knuckle... it's basically just a stub shaft without the ujoint ears. Pull the 36mm nut and it's out.

I carry one of these in the event i lose a joint, dont need to carry a full shaft.

I can grab a pic of it if you need?

The nut on the spindle is a lot smaller than the 36mm. I didn't have to use a wrench to take it off so I'm not sure of the exact size but the spindle wouldn't come out of the knuckle. Granted, I didn't get out the BFH but it's not like any 2WD stub shaft that I have used in the past.

The nut on the spindle is a lot smaller than the 36mm. I didn't have to use a wrench to take it off so I'm not sure of the exact size but the spindle wouldn't come out of the knuckle. Granted, I didn't get out the BFH but it's not like any 2WD stub shaft that I have used in the past.

I believe he is thinking of the later 2wd beam axles which use a unit bearing rather than tapered bearings like yours. Also I'm willing to bet it's time rebuild everything so a knuckle swap with new ball joints and bearings may be in order.

Put an axle and a tcase in it. Fixed.

My daughter would love it if I did that but I'm not too sure the truck would last long with her behind the wheel.:laugh:

I believe he is thinking of the later 2wd beam axles which use a unit bearing rather than tapered bearings like yours. Also I'm willing to bet it's time rebuild everything so a knuckle swap with new ball joints and bearings may be in order.

You're probably right. I have knuckles and brakes from a '99 that I'm gonna use plus new ball joints and unit bearings.

This is one of those deals that you really don't want to do what you know needs to be done, new knuckles and brakes and stuff, when what you really want to do is put a HP D30 in it. Oh well...

Oh, a REAL spindle setup. I'v seen mention of them but never actually saw one on an XJ.

I actually have a 2wd beam behind the garage I will sell if you are interested.. came out of a 87 MJ

High2by said:
My daughter would love it if I did that but I'm not too sure the truck would last long with her behind the wheel.:laugh:

This is one of those deals that you really don't want to do what you know needs to be done, new knuckles and brakes and stuff, when what you really want to do is put a HP D30 in it. Oh well...

You can always put the axle in now . . .

Then do the rest later :cheers:

Fixed it guys. PacificEd had what I needed. Thanks, Ed!! :cheers: I went to his place yesterday after work and pulled the knuckle and hub from a "carcass" he has behind his shop. A wise man once said "You never throw Jeep parts away because you never know when you're gonna need that part." :D

Fixed it guys. PacificEd had what I needed. Thanks, Ed!! :cheers: I went to his place yesterday after work and pulled the knuckle and hub from a "carcass" he has behind his shop. A wise man once said "You never throw Jeep parts away because you never know when you're gonna need that part." :D

I save everything, even 2wd parts. You just never know what you might need. It kills me when people scrap good parts.

Back