• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find the source of smell

unclethumbtack

NAXJA Forum User
Recently there is a strong odor coming from under the hood of my '96, you can smell it walking by from 5 feet. It smells like old gas but there is fresh gas in the tank, I have checked all the vacuum lines. The jeep runs perfect and there is no CEL. The only thing I have not done is give it a good bath under the hood. It is not dirty but it is the only thing I can think of. Any thoughts or any one else experience this?

can I replace charcoal canister element? And I do not smell the injector or see any leakage around it. Is there another way to check the injectors?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: let us know what you use to replace the element, and if theres anything special to dissasemble it will ya.

gonna bring this back to the top.... where can i get replacement elements? or how did you replace the charcoal? seems like a 1 peice, non serviceable design to me.

checked autozone, morris4x4, no luck... anyone? bueller?

doh! shouldve checked there! thanks !

it looks like they have one for the H.O., but only offer replacement filters for the renix peice... anyone convert over? the renix has 2 ports (it looks like 3, but one doesnt have a hole drilled in it), from the looks of it, the H.O. unit has 5 ports, can anyone confirm some of these are not actually drilled? can i just plug these?

Sorry it took so long. Here is what I did. Now mine is an offroad only rig. But I treat it like a queen. I cut the bottom off using box knife, refilled with activated carbon and used RTV and metal tape to reseal. It didn't turn out exactly like I wanted but it works.

If you want to get activated charcoal locally most pet stores carry it. It will be in the aquarium section.

Yeah ... why pay $30+ for the entire canister when you can replace the stuff that actually does the work for 1/10th that much. I like smart solutions.

Unclethumbtack ... you said it didn't turn out exactly how you wanted it. Can you tell us how you would have done it differently next time?

Thanks.

have you looked at the cannister? I LOVE 1/10th the price solutions too.... except this thing doesnt just come apart, he said he had to hack it apart, and re-assemble with tape.... something im not looking forward too.

after more searching, i think im gonna hack it apart.... but save the lecture about refusing the easy road... after i buy charcoal, hack this thing apart and PRAY smog people dont mind, then replace the prefilter screen, i dont mind a $30 brand new unit.

have you looked at the cannister? I LOVE 1/10th the price solutions too.... except this thing doesnt just come apart, he said he had to hack it apart, and re-assemble with tape.... something im not looking forward too.

after more searching, i think im gonna hack it apart.... but save the lecture about refusing the easy road... after i buy charcoal, hack this thing apart and PRAY smog people dont mind, then replace the prefilter screen, i dont mind a $30 brand new unit.

I think you misunderstood. When I said "replace the stuff that actually does the work," I was talking about the charcoal. The charcoal actually does the work of filtering. I wasn't referring to the work involved with doing the job.

I understood that he cut the canister ... it just sounded like a good idea to me. Something I had never thought of before. Metal tape is a good seal and relatively permanent. I wasn't lecturing anybody ... just paying him a compliment on his solution. If buying a new one seems like a better idea to you, by all means do that instead.

Different strokes for different folks. As for me, I'd love to see pics and hear more about how he did it and what went right and what went wrong. If my canister goes bad, I'll cut into it and replace the charcoal. If that doesn't work, I'll buy a new one. Either way, its really no big deal.

Let me clarify. I know that my jeep would pass emissions the rtv creates a seal. But as a precaution due to the weight of the charcoal and the attaching hardware I didn't feel comfortable bashing on the rocks with the chance of the bottom falling out. The metal tape is insurance. If I was to do it again I would order some black sikaflex because I could use in other applications too and bypass the metal tape. I might even consider drilling a hole in the side and threading it for a large drain plug.

Back