• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 Cherokee coolant recovery tank

NCSU90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I am looking to replace the plasitc coolant recovery tank on my 90XJ. I have been through 2 OEM jeep units in the past couple of years to the tune of $60 a piece from the dealership. Both of them have started leaking at horizontal seam (small pinhole size leaks). Was going to go with an aftermarket unit this time around. I see a couple of choices out there: Dorman (P\N 603-300), OMIX-ADA (P\N 17103.02), and Quadratec (unsure of manufacturer, P\N 51216.01). Any luck with any of these? Thanks,

Andy

I'm pretty sure Quadratec uses Crown automotive parts. I've used Crown tanks before, I returned two and seem to have finally gotten a winner. My guess is their quality control isn't all it could be. They may have found another supplier, it has been awhile. My parts supplier, who uses many Crown parts, is good about returns. I've heard Quadratec isn't good about returns and their customer service can be iffy, my dealings with them are likely dated (it has been awhile).
Get a new cap when you replace the tank, they are pressure release and when plugged with deposits the system can build enough pressure to rupture the tank or damage the radiator. I've soaked my caps in vinegar before, the caps are something often overlooked.
I also use distilled water (anti freeze mix) when filling the radiator, it helps reduce the deposits.
Leave about 1/3 of the tank air, don't fill it all the way.

I did this a few years ago. No problems what so ever.
Check around for best prices.
62tmar
63656_part.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/63650/10002/-1
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=29029

8MUD - thanks for info & advise.
62tmar - how much modifcation is required to use this tank... I assume this is not a drop in piece for the plastic tank?
yeakoz - After I posted this I did a search and found this all metal tank. Do all the existing heater hoses & mounts work with this?

MT Mike,
Treat the Moroso exactly as you would the original plastic pressure bottle.
The lower bung is visible in the picture. The only diff. is the over flow tube under the radiator cap.
dsc01724kt.jpg

MT Mike,
Treat the Moroso exactly as you would the original plastic pressure bottle.
The lower bung is visible in the picture. The only diff. is the over flow tube under the radiator cap.
dsc01724kt.jpg

Good deal. Thanks for the additional picture. I now know what I'll be replacing my OE style bottle with. :cheers:

Back