• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator temperature switch/ Install question..

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I am missing the radiator temperature switch that mounts to the radiator just above the lower radiator hose. I have only had the jeep for a couple weeks and it has been running hot, I realized that the auxiliary fan has never ran. I found that there is no radiator temp switch mounted to the radiator. The plug/harness is there near the fire wall. I purchased a new switch, went to install it and there are no female threads inside the mount on the radiator for it to screw into??? I found a picture online last night that shows some sort of fitting in the mounting hole for the switch. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/album.php?albumid=1397&pictureid=7881 , any input/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

I would think that someone replaced the radiator with a non-RENIX radiator. The RENIX radiators are a tiny bit harder to find and possibly a bit more expensive.

When I replaced my radiator I was converting to an Open system so a 91+ radiator is what I have...and no hole for the switch. There is a "place" for the switch but it's more like a knockout.

OLDTEMP.jpg

The hole should go all the way thru with threads. If you really want that switch there you could take your radiator to a shop and have them weld in the proper bung (e.g. "some sort of fitting")

You can wire in a switch through the fan relay that either you can turn on or will go on with the A/C but won't come on automatically. I deleted the temp switch, and went for the manual option.

Last edited:
I don't think I've gotten exactly the same radiator twice, they all seemed a little different, especially in the early Renix years. Don't think I've ever seen one with an unthreaded temperature switch (sensor) bung (I did get one with no sensor/thermo switch bung at all). Maybe you have a plug in there that has been painted over, been awhile, but I seem to remember the last plug I saw in the thermo switch/ sensor hole had a large screwdriver type slot in it for removal. All come with some sort of plug in there, most painted over.

If you jump those two wires for the temperature switch (sensor) it closes the relay and the fan will run. I ran two wires from the senor (temp switch) connector back to the console and installed a switch.

I cut the bung out of the last Renix radiator I replaced, with the thought of silver soldering a couple of short peaces of copper pipe into a coupling, drilling a hole and silver soldering the bung on the coupling. and mounting the thermo switch (sensor) in the top hose. It should turn the fan on quit a bit sooner that way. Know a plumber, half hour job.
Having the thermo switch (sensor) and piggy backing a simple switch onto the two thermo switch wires (to jump them), gives you options.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot my friends! I went to the local parts house this morning to look at a new radiator, it has plugs that can be removed for the radiator temp switch to screw into. My radiator is in good shape for now so I bypassed the temp switch, ran two wires from its harness to a toggle switch under the dash. The aux fan works great and I can use it whenever I need it. Thanks again group!

Back