• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scratched fuel pump off my to do list

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I Finally took the time and money to replace my fuel pump(97 4.0). I've had the classic check valve failure for a long time and kept debating on replacing just the check valve or the entire pump. I decided while it is all out I may as well put a brand new pump back in.

I decided on a new bosch pump, I got it at my local napa for $311 out the door.

It turned out to be very easy to drop the tank, I got it down near Empty and it wasn't nearly as heavy as I thought it would be. I had my floor jack under the tank with a piece of wood to spread the weight out. I ended up pushing the jack out of the way and just lowering it down with my arms.

I was surprised when I pulled the old pump out the filter/sock stayed in the tank. I think/hope that when I put the floor jack under the tank it happened to be right under the pump and it dislodged the filter then. The filter was sitting right under the pump just not attached when I lifted the pump out. I was again shocked when I was dumping the fuel out of the old pump and it was coming out Brown. The fuel in my tank looked perfectly clear no signs of sediment or anything out of the usual. Just a day before doing this I had a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and clear fuel purged from that. So I am not sure there but brown fuel didn't look good coming out.

I drained all the gas out before putting it back which made it even easier lifting just the plastic tank. The one thing I neglected was putting the fuel return line on Before lifting the tank up into place. I had to lower the passenger side of the tank back down to reach the hose/fitting.

First turn of the key to prime it the pump was pretty loud. It got quiet as I am sure it was done pumping air. Checked for leaks found none, released pressure and hooked up my fuel pressure gauge just to see what kind of PSI the new pump shows. I was getting a nice 45ish psi at the fuel rail and it held steady while I cleaned up before going for the first drive.

The big victory, after sitting over night it takes One turn of the key and it cranks right over. :patriot:

great news. i replaced my whole module also 3 years ago because of a check valve failure. i went the airtex route and so far not a problem. my tank was very easy to get down also. i did mine outside because i didn't want any fumes to find the water heater pilot light. it feels real good when the xj has been sitting and it turns over on one try!!!!

Back