• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder head replacement

01erionracing

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace cylinder head on my 93 XJ and want to know if anyone has good experience with any manufacture out there. I am not saying money is not an issue but I rather save up to pay little more and pay only once. Here is a little history about my XJ:
I have it about 6 month ago and it ran normal until few weeks ago I am experience with the engine running little hot. I removed mech fan, stock electrical fan replaced with 3x10" electical fans 1500cfm/ea, engine still running hot 220-240. I then replaced OEM thermostat, water pump and 3 core all metal CSF radiator even the radiator removed also all metal and its similar size as the CSF. Engince still running hot. I used the combustion leak test from Napa and see the color changed to green not yellow so I think it might have slow leak from the engine side to the cooling system. There is no oil in the cooling neither antifreeze in the oil, no white smog on the exhaust no leaking antifreeze on the ground. I also added the trans cooler and the engine has 255k but no oil leak. Any input appreciated.

If the color changes at all in that "head check" fluid then you have a head problem. You have to be sure no coolant gets into the blue fluid though.

If the color changes at all in that "head check" fluid then you have a head problem. You have to be sure no coolant gets into the blue fluid though.
Sure the green color in the tube is different with antifreeze green and I did couple times just to make sure no coolant gets into the test tube.
I will take out the head next week and go from there.

The best deal I've found on a new head is from Clearwater Cylinder Head. $450 shipped with a 5-year warranty. Well, that's for the 0331 head, but I'm sure your pricing is similar.

Honestly, you would probably have good luck finding a used head in good condition. You have the advantage of swapping a used head that doesn't automatically come with a high likelihood of failure like the 0331 has, so buying new was really my only option.

Back