• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problematic fuel pump?

Gridikal

NAXJA Forum User
My fuel pump seems to be on the way out. It's a 2001 with 60,000 miles on it which has me a bit concerned (thought pumps lasted longer). Anyway, about every third start instead of a smooth humm from the pump I get a louder "rattle" and a no-start. To fix this I usually just cycle the key from on to off until I i get a smooth humm and it starts right up. Am I right in thinking I should replace the pump?

Is this the factory pump you are referring to? They usually last a bit longer than that, but it would not be at all unusual to have a failure at 60k.

What you describe does sound like a pump starting to go south...........

If you end up replacing it, I'd highly recommend seeking out a Bosch pump. They are the absolute best in the business when it comes to fuel pumps. Cost a few bucks more, but well worth it. Do NOT buy an Airtex. They are usually the low price point, but IMHO, their reliability issues rule them out.

If you end up replacing it, I'd highly recommend seeking out a Bosch pump. They are the absolute best in the business when it comes to fuel pumps. Cost a few bucks more, but well worth it. Do NOT buy an Airtex. They are usually the low price point, but IMHO, their reliability issues rule them out.

Ok, now on Napa's site they have two units and I want to make sure I'm looking at the right one here:

BSH N67658 (Fuel pump assembly)

BSH N69316 (Fuel Pump)

Not sure but it looks like one part is the entire fuel pump assembly (pump/regulator/filter/checkvalve, etc) and the other is JUST the fuel pump.

As long as you're doing this, I highly recommend you replace the entire assembly. If one part is failing, others may not be far behind.

Back