• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper build

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to start building a front bumper for myself. I am a design engineer so I use solidworks and I am designing it in there. My question is I have heard of being able to buy the full frame tie in mount which most buyable bumpers have but I cant seem to find them can anyone help me out on that?

Also when I finish my design I will post up the plans so you guys can see and then also as I go about building it I will post pics probably will post this in mod tech too. But I thought you local guys would like to see it cause I may have enough steel to make too and someone might want one but I am not sure yet.

Let me know if you need any help. If you transfer your soildworks flatpaterns to a dxf I can probably help

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks I may just take you up on that it depends on exactly how I decide to do it I am going to try and design it so I can do it entirely out of flat bar and some square tubing but I will let you know if I need any help thanks for sure :)

Okay well here is my initial design its going to get a few gussets in the back and the d ring tabs but this is pretty well it.
It measures 8" tall and will stick out past the grill about 8". It weighs about 80lbs so far and it is made out of all 1/4" plate and 2x2x.120. The brush guard is just for looks I dont have the material or the bender to do that but maybe eventually I will ad that on if I can get my hands on the stuff. Oh and the frame tie ins are just mocked I have to take some measurements to determine length and what not or I may be using the JKS ones not sure yet.
Questions comments concerns are all appreciated.

Attachments

• Front Bumper Assembly 2.pdf
    202.1 KB · Views: 165
  • Front Bumper Assembly.pdf
    195.8 KB · Views: 124
Okay well here is my initial design its going to get a few gussets in the back and the d ring tabs but this is pretty well it.
It measures 8" tall and will stick out past the grill about 8". It weighs about 80lbs so far and it is made out of all 1/4" plate and 2x2x.120. The brush guard is just for looks I dont have the material or the bender to do that but maybe eventually I will ad that on if I can get my hands on the stuff. Oh and the frame tie ins are just mocked I have to take some measurements to determine length and what not or I may be using the JKS ones not sure yet.
Questions comments concerns are all appreciated.
I like it. Gonna weld it yourself?

Yes sir. I work at a very large manufacturing shop doing all the design work but my boss gives me free range with the welders at lunch :D

looks good! Looks like you aren't using the sheetmetal feature? looks like a perfect candidate for that so you can flatten and get all the templates real easy. For the most part, I don't really use solidworks for jeep parts unless I plan on having a bunch made, I cut all my stuff by hand, cheapskate:). The old tape and cardboard technique gets used a LOT. Good luck!

Looks good. Looks like a lot of cutting and welding.

I would loose the roller and put a hawse in there.

Hey skully I am glad to see someone else familiar with solidworks haha
Actually they are all weldments because I plan on doing it out of flat bar and yes I do plan on doing a lot of cardboard and cutting haha but solidworks helps me visualize it much better and also gives me a better estimate of how much material I will need.

Hey cracker any particular reason why you think the hawse instead?
I honestly dont know much about winches thats not my particular niche

Hey skully I am glad to see someone else familiar with solidworks haha
Actually they are all weldments because I plan on doing it out of flat bar and yes I do plan on doing a lot of cardboard and cutting haha but solidworks helps me visualize it much better and also gives me a better estimate of how much material I will need.

Hey cracker any particular reason why you think the hawse instead?
I honestly dont know much about winches thats not my particular niche
Yeah, in college I was trained with pro-E, but it was just too expensive and really, much more than I needed. So I taught myself Solidworks back in 2004 and have been loving it ever since. It isn't cheap either but I was able to get a payment plan set-up and it has more than paid for itself:). Looks good, always nice to see the final product too so keep us updated!

bumper looks badass man, nice cad work as well.

OUCH! cant imagine paying for solidworks on a jeep budget!... im forced to use google sketchup....

bumper looks badass man, nice cad work as well.

OUCH! cant imagine paying for solidworks on a jeep budget!... im forced to use google sketchup....

yeah, no truck stuff unless I am super bored and playing around. But it does make me money in my "real" job:). Never messed with sketchup but I have heard good things about it. Bendtech was about the only software package I could justify for the truck stuff, and it has payed for itself as well.

Yeah its not a cheap program at all but I have it at work so I havent paid a cent for it lol. My computer that my boss just bought for me is 4000 and that was a deal we got on it haha

But the program is very versatile from sheet metal to weldments to anything your imagination can create and then put it into a drawing format it has really pushed this company ahead

Thanks for the comments on the bumper guys I appreciate I am hoping that I will be starting on it maybe next week or possibly the week after.

Okay so it took me awhile but I got it started hopefully I will have the flat bar tacked on next week and I can start test fitting and figuring out where my tie ins need to go and what not.

So here is a few pics of the frame tacked together.

IMAG0053.jpg IMAG0052.jpg

Just an update I am making progress slowly but surely. I only have my lunch hour to do this but its coming along nicely.

Let me know what you guys think now is the time for input on changes lol a few more days and it will be test fitted then its solid weld time

Back